Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-27-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Trouble with AJ, AK, AQ offsuit......

I've recently tighten my game up a bit getting my pre flop play to 15-20% and have become really aggressive with hands when no one has raised...

The trouble I am having is playing AJ, AQ, AK offsuit when I miss the flop completly... I tend to bet out if it is checked to me and sometimes call a bet, and I am wondering if I am doing this too much.

Lets say I have eaither AQ, AJ, or AK offsuit and the flop comes out ... T26 no flush draw.

If it is checked to me what should I do?
If it is bet to me what should I do?

Lets say the pot was raised just 2 bets......

What is ussually the best strategy in playing these types of hands?

Lets say three players are in the pot including myself....
Old 06-27-2005, 02:24 AM

Default Re: Trouble with AJ, AK, AQ offsuit......

What was the action preflop? Even in your best situation you are in a pot with three other players and the flop missed you completely.

If it's bet to you, fold. You really have no other option unless you read your (hopefully single) opponent for an outright bluff. You have nothing.

If it's checked to you then you have some thinking to do. Preflop action becomes crucial as does your position and how the table has been playing. It's hard to say without knowing more... Calling a bet is a mistake since you'd be paying good money hoping to pair something that would not even necessarily be an out. If all the signs are go, you could try to steal the pot right there with a decent size reraise, but it really depends on a lot of ambient factors...
Old 06-29-2005, 06:25 PM

These hands are on the fence, depending on the situation, of course. I would probably raise pre-flop with these hands, or if the situation is difficult but cheap to get in, just call. Your best bet with these hands is either to steal the blinds or see the flop for relatively cheap. You hit on the flop, well then hello. If you miss, you must give yourself permission to fold. Just because you've got a fist full of face cards doesn't mean its a good hand.

So in answer to your question, if it was checked to me, again, depending on the situation, I'd check it along in hopes of a free card or fire a bet that doesn't give the remaining players odds to call. If it's bet to you, analyze who bet and if you think players behind you will call.

You must know when you're beat.
Old 06-29-2005, 07:18 PM

SSH and MLH both have good information on this topic.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:19 AM

Well, first thing first, with those hands you would most likely have raised preflop, so the eyes are all on you to bet the flop. If it is checked to you, you almost always have to bet it. You've got to try to steal. If It's limit, you should probably check-fold, unless it's big enough, then check-call one bet (someone could have high-card/ten), if it's limit. If no-limit, use pot-odds as a judgment as when to call. Aside from that, I'd fold (if bet into). One thing to remember, however, is that if you raised preflop, and that runs out the weak hands, and it's a weak flop, it's not too likely that they hit either (maybe a pocket pair). So, if someone is betting, chances are they have you severly dominated, but it isn't likely that they hit. Keep this in mind, and remember not to throw in good money after bad.

RGS
Old 06-30-2005, 07:35 AM

To mix things up, if there are 2 or 3 other players in the pot, and i took the lead preflop from late position, i Like to check it through on the flop and bet the turn. The double sized bet on the turn is apt to make players without solid hands think more about folding, while betting the flop will make the pot so large that no one with any kind of hand will consider a turn fold.

[ QUOTE ]
I've recently tighten my game up a bit getting my pre flop play to 15-20% and have become really aggressive with hands when no one has raised...

The trouble I am having is playing AJ, AQ, AK offsuit when I miss the flop completly... I tend to bet out if it is checked to me and sometimes call a bet, and I am wondering if I am doing this too much.

Lets say I have eaither AQ, AJ, or AK offsuit and the flop comes out ... T26 no flush draw.

If it is checked to me what should I do?
If it is bet to me what should I do?

Lets say the pot was raised just 2 bets......

What is ussually the best strategy in playing these types of hands?

Lets say three players are in the pot including myself....

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 06-30-2005, 08:23 AM

I think 2 things you have to consider when making your decision are, size of the pot, and your position. If the pot is big, perhaps you raised and had 4 callers, and on the flop your call would close the betting, I would certainly call. If I improved on the turn I would have to judge from the action whether I thought my hand was best and decide on my next move.
Old 06-30-2005, 09:43 AM

FOLD unless the following is true;

you bet into it (Don't bother calling, fold or raise if it's bet to you)
AND
if they are both overcards and raggy rainbow where at least 2 of the cards are low (3 low tends to produce 2/3 connected board)
AND
only tight or weak players left
AND
good pot odds (at least 5/1, at the very, very least) unless you got a backdoor draw, then do your own pot odds calcs.

The exception is if you can see the turn for free.

So basically, fold.
Old 06-30-2005, 12:36 PM

I you lose every flop that does not pair you, because you fold to a bet - you are unlikely to ever win a substantial bb/100 at hold'em.

Dogmeat [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
Old 06-30-2005, 07:14 PM

While I agree that it depends on the factors mentioned, my basic advice is to play this like you would a high pair. Let your opponents guess which one you have, don't tell them from your betting. If you get called you might win, and anyway you'll make more when you do get a high pair. If your opponents fold, you get the pot.