Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-31-2005, 08:33 AM

Default Saved by God?

A women survived Katrina by clinging to a tree altho she lost all her possessions. She was interviewed afterwards and put her survival down to the intervention of God. If she believes God has this ability, why does she not feel anger that he thru this disaster at her in the first place?

If god intervenes, then surely he must intervene totally. This is something I have never been able to understand. How do the religious reconcile that some are saved and some are not?
Old 08-31-2005, 09:44 AM

Default Re: Saved by God?

When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian. When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it. When someone else is saved, God took mercy on them anyway, and if he dies- he should have put his faith in Jesus.
Old 08-31-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does God have a choice if he will save them or not? He hears all calls right? Does he just save the sincere? Are the rest insincere?

[ QUOTE ]
When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it

[/ QUOTE ]

If he has some great plan doesn't that negate the existance of free will?

[ QUOTE ]
When someone else is saved, God took mercy on them anyway, and if he dies- he should have put his faith in Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

So are you saying that if you are a true believer you have a chance to win in the mercy lottery during any act of God and that if you aren't 'you made your bed' etc?
Old 08-31-2005, 11:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How do the religious reconcile that some are saved and some are not?

[/ QUOTE ]

I most certainly did not say nor imply that the above given reasons were logical, reasonable, or intelligent. I simply answered your question truthfully. I'm not religious, btw.

Edit: I wanted to add that I think it's great my post was taken as a literal defense- it reminded me people must actually make serious claims like that- and made me feel better about my use of reason.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does God have a choice if he will save them or not? He hears all calls right? Does he just save the sincere? Are the rest insincere?

[/ QUOTE ]

God decides
Man has nothing to do with God's choice of who He wants to save
Old 08-31-2005, 11:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian. When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it.

[/ QUOTE ]So, saving the faithful wasn't always part of the plan? He only saved them when they called? Why did they need to call? Didn't God know they were in trouble?

Also, I'll bet there are a fair number of non-faithful who call out in times of trouble. So, don't say that God only recognized the faithful when they called out, or some such.
Old 09-02-2005, 07:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When they are saved, God heard their call and responded by showing mercy on a faithful Christian. When they die, it was all part of God's greater plan and there's some significant reason he had for it. When someone else is saved, God took mercy on them anyway, and if he dies- he should have put his faith in Jesus.

[/ QUOTE ]

Completely tautoligical. He has no accountability whatsoever. This master plan seems to come at a very high price in unnecessary waste and misery and humanity seems dreadfully obtuse in learning lessons from its previous experiences.

Another one I like. He only gives us as much burden as we can handle. Yeah, except for the people that have nervous breakdowns or commit suicide because they can't handle their lives.

I think humans need to believe in something, some purpose. However, I think it could be done, even if that purpose is Christian belief, without so many shallow aphorisms and notions.

Another good one: The lord helps those that helps themselves.
Old 09-02-2005, 03:01 PM

I thought I already explained my post was sardonic.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
A women survived Katrina by clinging to a tree altho she lost all her possessions. She was interviewed afterwards and put her survival down to the intervention of God. If she believes God has this ability, why does she not feel anger that he thru this disaster at her in the first place?

If god intervenes, then surely he must intervene totally. This is something I have never been able to understand. How do the religious reconcile that some are saved and some are not?

[/ QUOTE ]

The weakness of the spirit of the less educated religious person is not news.
Old 08-31-2005, 11:40 AM

She just feels lucky, had this been a Friday night, god would have been busy giving someone the strength to catch a pass and would have missed the message.

It's pretty one-sided about the anger, as I bet the most faithful would eschew clinging to the tree and just put their trust in the lawd for safe delivery, but we don't know if those people are angry, because they drowned.