Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 05:14 PM

Default Re: $55: Blind war with QJs

[ QUOTE ]
i would call here. this guy sounds like a lag fish.

why don't you guys want to play a flop with likely the better hand getting 3:1 in position against a bad player? it's not like your chip position is so great now you can just chill and steal a couple times and make the money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think I agree with you too much.

I agree here too.

I like calling in this spot. take a look at the flop and play it from there. If nothing else, he'll know (though it won't leave the biggest of impressions) that he can't just steal your blinds with a min raise.

But then again, I like calling minraises.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:26 PM

Actually, I would in fact call here, I thought he had raised by 300 so making it 300 to call, not 150. My mistake.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:29 PM

Calling seems like a good option but what do you do when a J or Q flops? Are you willing to put your chips in? No good to call here if your not following with an all in when you pick up TP. He acts first and will most likely push with his TP or maybe even with A high? If you won't call after the flop don't call it preflop.
Old 11-02-2005, 06:42 PM

Definetely call and see a flop. If you hit, you're going to stack him.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:04 PM

If I hit TP, I am getting all my chips in the middle on the flop.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:12 PM

Very read dependent spot.

If I had a few less chips or was having trouble finding spots to steal I would push this instantly, but you only get to make this move once. Then SB will most likely adjust his play or try to trap you with a big hand. Since SB seems to have a pattern of min-raising SB v BB, I can see an argument for waiting to pop him in a later round. However, if I call here and miss the flop I find myself with a chipstack that I would have been more inclined to push pre-flop. Therefore, I probably push here and take my 450t. If my stack is just 1-2BB bigger I will call here. The fact that we have QJs is kind of irrelavant with regards to pushing. If you push here it should be with any 2 because the FE is so high not because you expect your hand to do well in a showdown. 56o is probably better than QJs against his calling range because the QJ is dominated so often by AQ,AJ or KQ.
Old 11-03-2005, 11:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Calling seems like a good option but what do you do when a J or Q flops? Are you willing to put your chips in? No good to call here if your not following with an all in when you pick up TP. He acts first and will most likely push with his TP or maybe even with A high? If you won't call after the flop don't call it preflop.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, i'll happily get my chips in with TP.
Old 11-03-2005, 12:25 PM

yea - i prefer seeing the flop and outplaying the villain post flop. if you hit you can almost assuredly get big bucks from him - if you dont hit you can either wait for another hand (keeping that tight image to extract the $s from him next rotation) or pushing if you dont think he hit post flop.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
pushing > calling > folding IMO

[/ QUOTE ]
Think about this
your going to let him min raise all of your sbs for the rest of the tounry. What happenes when there at 100/200 and you have 1000 chips and he min raises you have 59 in the bb?
The thing is his min raise range here is huge but his call range is probably tiny...AJ+, 99+ maybe KQ. Repush for sure

[/ QUOTE ]

OP says he's a gambler... and he's getting low on chips... he could very well be calling with much wider than that.

Also, if what I do now encourages him to raise his crap later, that's fine, cause I'm popping him back later when the blinds are higher. Right now, it's just not worth it to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I lean towards folding, just for this reason. When the blinds are higher, and that min-raise is for more chips and more of his stack, there's a chance I will be able to punish him then with a better hand. Maybe I'll call here, to see and flop, but if I miss, I'm gone. I don't like pushing this over the top here, just because you're behind to a lot of hands that he could be raising with.

But I probably fold here, the 150 I lose doesn't hurt my stack that much, I'll wait for a better time and a better hand. Each time you let him do this, his range of hands gets looser, and the blinds get bigger, there'll be a better time to make a stand against this guy.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:17 PM

this is a fold, and it's not even close