Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Medium Stakes Hold'em

Old 12-14-2005, 02:45 AM

Default 10/20 88

I have stats of 38.64/1.82/.42 over 220 hands but they are over two months old. This was my first orbit at the table so I had no postflop read on this guy.

Party Poker 10/20 Hold'em (10 handed) pokerhand.org hand converter

Preflop: I am UTG with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. CO posts a blind of $10.
<font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, <font color="#666666">8 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (5.50 SB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (3.75 BB) 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">I bet</font>, BB calls.

River: (5.75 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">I raise</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>
Old 12-14-2005, 02:48 AM

Default Re: 10/20 88

Looks like Ax two pair or the super slow played flush. Looks like the former though and I cap. The .42 is a bit worriesome, but I think even that raises the flop flush sooner
Old 12-14-2005, 03:13 AM

This is WAY closer to a fold than a cap on the river.

This not only could be a super-slow played flush, but it could also very well be a 6 for a straight that wanted to make sure the river wasn't a fourth crub before getting aggressive.

It could be an A high two pair or a lower set though and so I think we have to pay off here.

Everything else is standard in my opinion, though the UTG raise could swing to a call depending on the table condition and as y'all know it's not really even an interesting question cause it's so close.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:18 AM

PREFLOP: I'm not a fan of raising this type of hand UTG. I prefer to limp and play it for its set value or fold if the game is too tough.

FLOP &amp; TURN: Standard

RIVER: There are 3 flush cards and 4 to a straight on the board. It could be a situation where the BB had a flush or turned a straight but decided not to get aggressive fearing you wouldnt call if you had AK. This could easily be the case. I find that HU when people check and call every street and then bet the river they usually have a monster or total air.

That said, It could also be the case that the river ace made the BB top pair or two pair and hes betting cuz he knows you dont have the straight and you are unlikely to have the flush.

I think raising this river is ok, but it is pretty thin considering how passive the villain is. I think the river is very close between just calling and raising with the intention of calling a 3 bet. I think I would raise, and once 3 bet I would cry and call. I think capping here is clearly wrong.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:39 AM

Everything so far looks fine. I would just call the three-bet on the river.
Old 12-14-2005, 03:47 AM

I would think you were sweet if laid that down, but I think this is a call at 10/20.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:06 AM

you could be beat. but he could have also been trying to get AK to a showdown as cheap as possible.. or been slow playing a lower set not realizing you spiked a set also.

he probably doesnt think you raised UTG w/ 88, so hes using that A against you, hoping you hit it. with that knowledge he probably has a straight or a lower set.. possibly flopped a small flush and with no 4flush coming he knows its good.

but im probably calling here.. its too big a hand to fold to a 3 bet on the river.. especially when the A comes.