Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 09-15-2005, 03:04 AM

Default PL & NL by Ciaffone - useful for tournaments?

Is Ciaffone and Reuben's Pot Limit & No Limit Poker book useful for tournaments or primarily cash games?
Old 09-15-2005, 11:56 AM

Default Re: PL & NL by Ciaffone - useful for tournaments?

In the middle of it - not geared for tourneys, but many nl applications can be used for it. Alot of the hand exaplmes are for pots that are being played very fast - those are not ideal tounrney examples, but there are other great ideas in the book.
Old 09-15-2005, 12:32 PM

If you play any form of PL or NL poker this book is on the necessary reading list. Similar to how if you play any form of poker TOP should be on your necessary reading list.

While not specifically geared towards tournaments, you will find the concepts behind each still apply to many situations.
Old 09-17-2005, 11:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is Ciaffone and Reuben's Pot Limit & No Limit Poker book useful for tournaments or primarily cash games?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, it's useless for limit tournaments. But, in order to play well in pot and no limit tournaments, you need knowledge on how to play pot and no limit poker.
Old 09-18-2005, 03:19 AM

Read Harrington on Hold em. I would recomend TJ's book to people I don't like.
Old 09-19-2005, 01:29 AM

Ok, I must be Magoo, I posted this thinking it was about Cloutier's Championship NL PL. I haven't read Ciaffone's book. Sorry.
Old 09-19-2005, 04:24 PM

This is one of the best books I've read, if not the very best. And yes, it will help you in tourneys. For example, there is a nice explanation on how to play a strong hand out of position like a small set against a guy to your left and how it depends on the size of his stack. That applies to tournaments. Also, it explains how to play a strong hand preflop on the button to a early position raiser depending on the size of his stack. That applies to tournaments. I don't like thinking of poker as tourneys vs cash games, poker is poker and if you can adjust to various situations the format should not be a huge issue. Yes tournaments and cash are different types of games but the concepts for success at both are highly intertwined.

Indy
Old 09-21-2005, 08:32 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't like thinking of poker as tourneys vs cash games

[/ QUOTE ]

Neither does Ciaffone, or any number of other top players including the likes of Harrington and Raymer. The differences are mainly down to the depth of money. It's just dynamics, regardless of the format.

Apart from a few marginal preflop situations where you have not yet entered the pot, the only time a tourney decision may differ from the same situation under cash game conditions would be towards the end near the big money.

People would do much better if they viewed things in terms of depth of money rather than tourney or cash game.