Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology

Old 08-21-2005, 09:04 AM

Default Re: considering getting a different type of poker coach

[ QUOTE ]
Tell your doctor you don't want an SSRI (relieves social anxiety) unless you have a problem with that. Sounds like you need a couple months of good sleep, regular exercise, and plenty of social activities to get everything adjusted and back to norm.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-21-2005, 11:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Anyways to help me with the poker part I was thinking about searching for and hiring a non strategy poker coach who would help me with the following areas, designing a attainable schedule and helping me getin the habit of doing it. Additionally coming up with a bankroll management and setting some goals.

Has anyone done or heard of something similar?

[/ QUOTE ]

Look around for models of success and you will find that many utilize the services of some type of coach/mentor.

Feel free to PM me if you like, and Ill try to point you in the right direction for resources.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:51 PM

I think that getting a Life Coach would be a great idea for you. They don't tell you "Hey you need to start doing this...", instead they say "Ok, how are you going to go about doing this?" Basically, they help you find your inner compass again and generally help people like you and me get our [censored] back together.

However, since life coaches don't have degrees, many people discount their skills. Personally I think that it depends on the coach. If you PM me I'll send you the name of a wonderful coach.

Many times you never even have to meet with the person, and if you don't notice a difference in your life after a month, you may choose a different coach or to quit counseling altogether. Hope this helps.
Old 08-21-2005, 01:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there are people out there who naturally have low serotonin levels in their brain which causes depression even if they are living good lives. anti-depressants are used to raise serotonin levels.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is also a vitamin supplement that can raise your seritonin levels. I've completely forgotten what it's called, but I'm sure a pharmacist can help you find it.
Old 08-21-2005, 10:09 PM

A good psychologist or life coach can help you.

The coach may be a better choice.

-Dr. Milo
Old 08-24-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is also a vitamin supplement that can raise your seritonin levels. I've completely forgotten what it's called, but I'm sure a pharmacist can help you find it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Quoting: http://healthlink.mcw.edu/article/985640580.html
[ QUOTE ]
Vitamin B6 and the nervous system

Vitamin B6 is needed for the synthesis of neurotransmitters such as serotonin and dopamine. These neurotransmitters are required for normal nerve cell communication. Researchers have been investigating the relationship between vitamin B6 status and a wide variety of neurologic conditions such as seizures, chronic pain, depression, headache, and Parkinson's disease.

Lower levels of serotonin have been found in individuals suffering from depression and migraine headaches. So far, however, vitamin B6 supplements have not proved effective for relieving these symptoms. One study found that a sugar pill was just as likely as vitamin B6 to relieve headaches and depression associated with low dose oral contraceptives.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 08-24-2005, 10:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yes, life coaches do exist and are getting more and more popular. I'll let the fact that Penn & Teller - Bullshit has an episode about life coaching answer the question whether it's a good idea to hire one. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Well if Vanilla Ice says that it works I'm in. Look at how he crushed on that show about the one hit wonders. His career is back ON!
Old 08-24-2005, 10:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've reached a point where I am unhappy with where I am at as a full time poker player. what's more I am completely frustrated and depressed with my inability to make the changes I want on my own. ...

... I know the problem started with a period of post divorce depression I went through where I basically lost my work ethic. ...

...Any suggestions, comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Fix your life. Your poker crisis has nothing to do with your failure as a poker player.

I have never been married so I have idea what it's like to be divorced.