Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Probability

Old 12-21-2005, 12:25 AM

Default Math Degrees and Careers

What undergraduate or graduate degrees require the most competence in math? Can you name at least your opinion for the top five?

What jobs require the highest competence in math?

If you were to look for a field in which you can find the most top notch mathematicians, where would they be?
Old 12-21-2005, 12:54 AM

Default Re: Math Degrees and Careers

as far as undergrad degrees...

1. Mathematics
2. Physics
3. Applied Mathematics
(in the sense of skill, not knowledge) 4. computer science
(very distant) 5. economics

as for jobs... I'd be interested to know...
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 AM

I'm not sure how much sense it makes to classify applied math differently from math, but I think that list is about right. As far as at the graduate level, economics probably makes more use of math and requires a higher level of competence than computer science. For jobs, I'd say that outside of academia most jobs don't require that much real facility with any kind of advanced math. It's not exactly like abelian groups have a lot of applications in the corporate world.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:28 PM

It makes plenty of sense to differ the two. I know a lot of people who can do applied and stare blankly at pure math.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:53 PM

What level of mathmatics are required for economics at the graduate level? I am currently an undergrad getting a major in actuarial science and economics, and plan on going to grad school to get a PhD in economics and become a college professor. I have had linear algebra, calculus 1-3, and will be taking introduction to annalysis at the college level. I have also taken several graduate level statistics classes because of the actuarial science major.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:32 PM

Don't worry. After linear algebra, anything you aren't trying to postulate your own theorems for will be easy!
Old 12-21-2005, 09:37 PM

are you replying about the math required for grad level economics?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:38 PM

That's probably "enough" in some sense, but it really I think is a case of more is better. Even something like abstract algebra that you won't really use directly in economics is useful because it teaches you better how to think rigorously and construct proofs, something you will need in first year micro and metrics. Differential equations will be a big help getting through first year macro. Topology is generally recommended, but I don't feel like I missed anything by not getting that at the undergrad level. I'd definitely take a second semester of real analysis if they offer it. I'd also take any other math class you see that seems fun or interesting unless doing so hampers you from getting something else you need.

Basically, while you can succeed at a top program with that background (I know people doing reasonably well with a lot less math), you'll find that how much you enjoy the first year of econ grad school is pretty much directly related to how much math you've had in the past. Aside from basic macro/micro, undergrad econ classes won't really help at all except to make you aware of some of the issues that people study.

If you want to do economic theory (which most people don't), take every math class you can get. You will likely want to start taking graduate math classes as well since most people who do this have either a masters in math or a relatively equivalent background.

If you want to do econometric theory (which again most people don't), those stat graduate classes will help. Many people who do this end up with a masters in stat or equivalent training.

Also, you should check out econphd (google it, I think but am not sure that it is just econphd.net). I found that moderately helpful when I was in the applications process.
Old 12-21-2005, 07:01 PM

Thank you for the reply. I am currently on winter break of my junior year as an undergrad. I just recetly (about 1 month ago) decided I wanted to become an econ college professor instead of going into actuarial science. I am a little worried about what grad schools I will be able to get into. I only had a 3.5 gpa because that is considered 'good' for an actuarial science undergrad, and with a 3.5 and 1-2 of the actuarial exams passed I would have no trouble finding a good job coming out of school. So I have never really put any effort into school because I was never really interested/passionate about it, I just kind of showed up went though the motions and squeeked by with a 3.5. I have a 4.0 thus far in all econ classes and roughly a 3.75 in all math and stat classes. I know I will do well on the enterance exams to grad school and will have good letters of recomendation, but I am a little worried that having 'only' a 3.5 this far will hurt me when trying to get into a good school. The next 3 semesters should be pretty easy and should be able to bump up the gpa somewhat. I have talked to an econ professor at my school who I really like and he said that a 3.5 wont hurt me very much, but I am still a little worried I won't be able to get into as good of a school as I would like becuase of it. From your experience do you think that will hurt me? I will deffinitly be taking introduction to annalysis, intro to econometrics, economic forcasting, advanced micro and macro (600 masters level), possibly differential equations and advanced calculus if you/others think they are benificial. Thanks again
Old 12-21-2005, 08:00 AM

Undergrad: Physics, EE, Math, Aerospace Engr, Nuclear Engineering, Astrophysics, Meteorology.

Grad: Math, Physics, Control Systems, Elec Engr., Economics, Psychometrics, Operations Research, Astronomy, Mech E (Computational Fluid Dynamics), Aerospace Engr, Meteorology, Statistics, Astrophysics.

Careers: Academia, NSA, Finite Element Analysis, Stock Markets, Risk Analysis, Insurance, Algorithm Development, Systems Engineering, Elec Engr, Aero Engr, Satellite Engr, Credit Card Companies, Patent Law, Poker Player [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Usually the best computer programmers know a lot of math, but they don't use it extensively unless they work for an engineering firm.

Computer Graphics used to require a lot of math: fractals, geometry, hidden line removal, .... Maybe it still does.