Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Two Plus Two > MOD DISCUSSION
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-01-2005, 12:00 PM

Default Complaints About New Forum Version

I've made a few "fixes" in the last 24 hours. Some of them may take care of your own pet peeves. I need to know what problems still exist. To make it easy for me to track them down, I need specific examples of the problems.

What I'd like to ask is that you verify that the problems you've had still exist, and if so put a reply under this post that describes the problem in as much detail as possible, and without extraneous noise. Before you do so, though, please make sure that someone hasn't reported the same problem. Use meaningful subjects to make this easy. If you want to provide support for an already reported problem do so as a reply to the original post...not as a new post.

I have limited time to work on this at the moment and need to spend my time where it will do the most good.

Thanks,

Chuck
Old 11-01-2005, 12:54 PM

Default using back button deletes work

the back button on our browser deletes all work written into this "post" box.

i typed a long response w/ math and analysis and got an error message that said "this form is no longer valid, please use your browsers back button"

i used the back button and got all my work erased.

Barron
Old 11-14-2005, 11:08 PM

Default Re: using back button deletes work

After typing out a long post and accidentally hitting my mouse button that takes my browser back a page, only to lose all of my work, I'm wondering if we're any closer to a fix here?
Old 11-14-2005, 11:27 PM

Chuck to date thinks this unfixable. I am now fully in support of new forum software.
Old 11-14-2005, 11:32 PM

I do not believe that this is fixable. I do not understand why it is happening and the people who provide the software claim it must be browser settings which is bull.

As to new forum software, I'd appreciate it if people would play with some software I'm testing at
http://fusionforum.twoplustwo.com/fusionbb.php?

This should be fully functional, but keep in mind that whatever you post here will not be kept permanently.

Please send any comments to me via e-mail to weinstock@conjelco.com.

Chuck
Old 11-14-2005, 11:39 PM

Location: download an irc client at www.hydrairc.com (freeware not spyware), connect to irc.efnet.net, and join the channel #twoplustwo to chat live with other 2+2 posters

http://forums.storagereview.net/ is an example of a fairly high-volume invision power board site
Old 11-14-2005, 11:55 PM

The invision software seems to not support threading. We need that feature at least.

Chuck
Old 11-14-2005, 11:52 PM

Well, it never happened before but I trust you've looked into this quite a bit.

What's the logon for the other site? Any other software you're considering? I've been looking into Drupal and Joomla for a professional community I'm building - both open source and highly configurable. I'm also looking at a couple of commercial applications like CommunityZero, Communispace, and Squarespace.

If you're going to change forum software, it could be a good opportunity to consider additional features like blogging, messaging, reference center for articles and other knowledge, calendar (I could definitely see some value in that with MTT), and some other cool things. I think there are some simple and cost-effective ways of making 2+2 even more valuable to its constituents. I'm happy to help if I can be of assistance.
Old 11-15-2005, 12:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]

As to new forum software, I'd appreciate it if people would play with some software I'm testing at
http://fusionforum.twoplustwo.com/fusionbb.php?

This should be fully functional, but keep in mind that whatever you post here will not be kept permanently.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't figure out how to get at anything. When I click on a forum it asks me to login, I login, and then I can't find the forum index anymore.
Old 11-01-2005, 01:40 PM

Default Inconsistency in deciphering who is responding to whom (Pics!)

I can't tell who is responding to whom when first viewing the forum. Here is an example. I open HUSH and see that josh1122 responded to a post of mine:

Ok cool. So let's say I click on his post to see what he's saying to me. I am taken to this screen:

where I see that he wasn't, in fact, responding to my post, but rather we are both responding to the original post in the thread.

There are lots of little problems like this. I will point them out and explain them as I see them, but it will take some time, and I won't be able to do them all today.