Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-26-2005, 02:21 PM

Default Stud8: A few general situations

1. You have (KT)K and raise and get one caller with a 5 showing. He catches a 6 and you catch a 9. You bet, he calls. He catches a 7 on 5th street, you catch a 3. Do you give this up?

2. Same except now he catches a 2 on 5th street. What is your plan for the rest of the hand?

3. You have 567 and there are three 4's up. Do you play the hand on 3rd street?

4. You have 567 and there are three 8's up. Do you play the hand now?

5. You have (23)6 and a K completes. There are 5 of the cards you need for a low up. Do you play?
Old 01-26-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: Stud8: A few general situations

I just want to say that I'm new to Stud8 and I have NO clue about the correct answers to these . . . so thanks for asking [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img].

*sits back and waits for the experts to get here*
Old 01-26-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Stud8: A few general situations

These are excellent questions. I'd love to hear from the experts myself.

1. I'm probably checking and calling on fourth. On fifth, I usually give it up. You will have to put in three big bets to see if you can win one plus half the antes minus the rake. It is still possible that you could scoop if he's paired, but it is far more likely that he is the one that will scoop.

2. Here, I'm going to check and call and pray that he catches a Jack on sixth street. The straight possibilities--that he has it now or that he catches it later--are significantly lessened. If he catches an Ace, Trey, or Four on sixth, I probably give it up then unless I've improved. I'm not betting my hand unless I fill up.

3. I call without thinking. I'm not saying that's right; it's just what I usually do. Because of the three Fours being gone, your hand is about like 732 would be ordinarily, and that isn't automatically playable, although I'll usually play it. If the Fours are held by aggressive players, and they are behind you, you might face a raise or two, which you won't like (although if it's two bets back to you, you can fold with a clear conscience). If a Four (or an Ace or another low card) raises in front of you, mucking would probably be prudent.

4. Similar observations, although the Eights are far less likely to raise no matter who holds them. You would definitely play a three-card Seven if all of the players were showing Eight or higher, and if one or more of these guys comes along with a three-card Eight, you might find yourself in a very nice situation.

5. Again, I call without thinking. I might consider mucking if most of the low cards are behind me, they are held by aggressive players, and they are of the Ace, Four, and Five variety, rather than the Seven and Eight variety. The former are more useful to my hand, and they are also more likely to like their cards enough to re-raise. I've done it, but it is very, very rare that I will muck a three-card Six on third street.