Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 10:58 PM

Default How\'d I play my continuation bet?

Raised on the button after checked to me I bet thinking there was a decent chance I would fold people out.

On the turn, my guess is that I should have either raised or folded and not called.

River I'm just not sure.

I have trouble with these types of hands. I ended up calling down too often.

PokerStars 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls, UTG+1 calls.

Flop: (6.50 SB) K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, UTG+1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, BB folds, UTG+1 calls.

Turn: (4.25 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

River: (6.25 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 8.25 BB
Old 11-22-2005, 11:01 PM

Default Re: How\'d I play my continuation bet?

It depends on your read..
Old 11-22-2005, 11:06 PM

Anyone else raise the turn?
Old 11-22-2005, 11:14 PM

Hey, that's one of my hands!!! LMAO!

This EXACT same situation happens to me far too often. My favorite is when I have AK, hit the A on the flop with two to the flush, bet it the whole way, then get the K on the river, completing the flush, bet out and get raised. I can't fold top 2-pair with only 3 to the flush on the board. But I digress.

I like the raise pre-flop.

I have a theory that I call the "King Thoery". If there is a king on the board, and I don't have it, I know someone else has it if they are willing to call a bet, or re-raise. Thus far, the "King Theory" has been saving me a lot of bets.

On the flop, you contination betted, as would I to represent. When he called, I would know I was in trouble.

When he wakes up on the turn, he most likely has two-pair and doesn't want it to get checked through. He's no longer afraid of you if you have AK, or maybe KQ. You are getting a little better than 5:1, and may not be drawing to all of your 5 outs, specifically if he has KJ.

A good player would fold to the turn bet. I'm a donk, so I'd probably end up calling the turn and folding the river UI.
Old 11-22-2005, 11:19 PM

PF and flop are standard. I raise the turn. There are two possibilities here: villain believes that you have the K, and can beat it, hence the donk bet on the turn. Secondly, villain doesn't buy that you have the K (many players would bet as you did on the flop), and improved with that J. The first scenario is unlikely, as the c/r would be the better move, though without reads, it's tough to make that judgement. The second scenario is considerably more likely, and either you've got villain outkicked, or you've run up against two pair. I think you're likely to have the best hand, and should raise, but fold to a 3-bet. Call or bet the river. As you played it, the river is fine.
Old 11-23-2005, 01:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
PF and flop are standard. I raise the turn. There are two possibilities here: villain believes that you have the K, and can beat it, hence the donk bet on the turn. Secondly, villain doesn't buy that you have the K (many players would bet as you did on the flop), and improved with that J. The first scenario is unlikely, as the c/r would be the better move, though without reads, it's tough to make that judgement. The second scenario is considerably more likely, and either you've got villain outkicked, or you've run up against two pair. I think you're likely to have the best hand, and should raise, but fold to a 3-bet. Call or bet the river. As you played it, the river is fine.

[/ QUOTE ]

Exactly what I was going to say. See this link for an excellent write-up on the continuation bet.
Continuation bets with overcards
Old 11-23-2005, 01:40 AM

I think he's on one of the following

AJs, AJo, ATs, QJs, QTs, JTs

He didn't raise from early position preflop so unlikely he's on AKs AKo or AQs. AQo only gives him a gutshot on the turn so why lead out? I think the jack helped him. I think he paired his J and is on the flush draw as well, or picked up a gutshot to go with his flush draw.

I don't think he's on KJ because the flop c/c is too strange.

I call the turn and raise the river but fold it to a reraise.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:41 AM

I wouldn't say the flop is a standard continuation bet. Two clubs and a King make for a very unfriendly board to bet.

But I play the turn and river the same.
Old 11-23-2005, 02:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I wouldn't say the flop is a standard continuation bet. Two clubs and a King make for a very unfriendly board to bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
i think this is a pretty good flop to bet. make that 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] the T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and i will want to check.

but as it is, that K is a really bad card for a lot of players' limping hands (JT/J9/J8, QT/Q9/Q8, small pairs, etc), and the 7 and 3 make it very unconnected.
Old 11-23-2005, 04:09 AM

I'm not saying it is a bad continuation bet, but I definately would think about it for a second while the other people acted, and make sure that their range is large enough that they likely have not connected.

I should've clarified what my action would have been instead of just saying an unfriendly board. Posting while multi tabling only takes away from both!