Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-24-2005, 02:14 PM

Default 640 NL tourney on Party hand

400 players left, a good amount of biggish stacks at my table, table is playing typical/tight...My stack has dwindled down to 2000...blinds are 200-400, I am dealt K-10o UTG...Is this an automatic push because I will have no folding equity after I get through the blinds? Also, lets say I pushed last hand too and everyone folded...how much consideration does that raise the hand before come into this next hand?

Lets assume I fold this hand and my next 2 blinds also...what is my plan for the next round? Push the next time it is folded to me? Wait for an A or pair and take the blinds again if I dont get them?
Old 01-24-2005, 03:36 PM

Default Re: 640 NL tourney on Party hand

Seems close to me. A lot of these situations come up and I dont always feel completely comfortable with the decisions I make. I think I would push. Hopefully some of you guys who play these things a lot better than will respond so I can learn something.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:20 PM

This is close, but at a 10 handed table with plenty of big stacks, I would fold.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:25 PM

I think you should fold, specially if the blinds are loose/big stacks.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:35 PM

Thanks for the responses Steve, Don, and Zee...for Zee and Don especially since you guys are regulars on this forum...isnt the company line that if we get to 4 or 5 Big Blinds that we have to push on that round NO MATTER WHAT because giving up our folding equity is too big of a factor? I thought I have read Raymer post that before? Did I misinterpret?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Also, so lets assume we fold this Hand and have to fold our next 2 blinds...with 1200 what is our plan for this next round?
Old 01-24-2005, 05:41 PM

I think that line is good for, mp2 and later. If you failed to do that in those positions you basically gave up that round unless you get a real nice hand late.
Old 01-24-2005, 05:46 PM

I wouldn't push K-10 UTG; i don't think u have too much FE anyway.

In a live (2 table) tourney, I waited and waited and there was no good spit until finally I had less that 2 BB and got the 'boys. Doubled up. few hands later, big slick, doubled up, made the money finished second.

I know, you can't always get monsters, but I'm looking for 2 live cards that may play well multiway - suited connectors or 1 gappers or the PP. In all likelihood, with 1200, you will be in a multiway pot if you push. If you triple up, you're back in business (but not for long).
Old 01-24-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks for the responses Steve, Don, and Zee...for Zee and Don especially since you guys are regulars on this forum...isnt the company line that if we get to 4 or 5 Big Blinds that we have to push on that round NO MATTER WHAT because giving up our folding equity is too big of a factor? I thought I have read Raymer post that before? Did I misinterpret?

[/ QUOTE ]

The "company line" is that when you have 10XBB or less, IF you're going to enter the pot you should be pushing (with a few exceptions like big pairs where you want to encourage action). But that doesn't address what hands you should be pushing with, from what positions, and under specific table conditions. There is still art to the game even when you're shortstacked. I've been fortunate enough to come from 3XBB to place very high in a tourney on more than one occasion. It's tough to be patient, but it often pays off.

Certainly, as your stack diminishes in terms of its relation to the blinds, you might have to start pushing with hands that you wouldn't otherwise. For me, I'll be way more aggressive once I get into 3XBB territory. You've mentioned that you don't have folding equity in this situation once you get past the blinds. That's not true. You still have over 3XBB and that's large enough to get people off of really marginal hands. You might get into a coinflip situation, you might get called by a huge stack that doesn't mind risking a few chips, but those are welcomed situations at this point.

With 5XBB UTG, I will still be pretty selective. I'll probably push any pair and AK-AT, maybe KQs, maybe A9s and some other hands. It also depends upon who is in the blinds. If the BB is a huge stack, there's a good chance of getting called and I might be more selective. If the BB is a tight, shortstacked player I might be a little more aggressive. Now, if I'm in the CO w/KT I would most likely push. So you definitely have to take position into consideration.

Just a few of my thoughts for whatever they're worth. Good luck.
Old 01-24-2005, 07:52 PM

Hiatus,

I think you fold here. In this spot, I tend to like to have position when pushing unless I pick up a real solid hand. Just too many people to shove your hand through here, you're bound to get called, and you'll be dominated a good percentage of the time you do.

As for the next round, I'd look for any ace, any pair, any 2 broadway for a push. If you are folded to in the last 3 spots, I'd push with just about anything remotely playable. K9, JT, etc. That's about all you can do in this spot.

On a similar note, I think that waiting it out a little is severely underrated. Once you get to 1200, if you double through someone on just one hand, you'll be roughly up to 3k and have a little room to maneuver again. Many of my best finishes I've found myself with less than 5BBs at a given level of the tournament. Just something to consider, hope it worked out for you.