Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Default I hate small flush draws...

Anyone play this different?

Any takers for three-betting fourth, or raising fifth?

The bet on sixth was a bit silly I think. Better to check behind?

7 Card Stud High ($3/$6), Ante $0.50, Bring-In $1 (converter)

3rd Street - (1.17 SB)

Seat 1: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___calls
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 5: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 6: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___brings-in

4th Street - (2.50 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___folds
Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___checks___raises

5th Street - (4.25 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___calls
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets

6th Street - (7.25 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___bets
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___calls
Seat 8: xx xx 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___checks___folds

River - (9.25 BB)

Hero: 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___checks
Seat 7: xx xx A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] xx___checks

Total pot: (9.25 BB)
Old 11-18-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: I hate small flush draws...

The only thing I might change is betting on 6th, you probably have to improve to win and the aces aren't folding so the free card is the way to go IMO.
Old 11-19-2005, 11:08 AM

I wouldn’t 3-bet 4th either. Although queens are more likely than the 4-flush, a 3-bet might knock seat 7 out and you’d prefer to keep him in.

I like the idea of raising 5th. It increases your chances of winning with small two pairs (or even unimproved) and the chance that your straight will be good (if you happen to hit one of the two remaining 4s); it might get you a free card on 6th, too.

I don’t really like the bet on 6th. Aces up is his most likely hand I think, so take the free card.
Old 11-19-2005, 12:51 PM

I go for the overcall on 4th

I raise 5th. I think failing to do so is a really big mistake. You have to push out the other guy.

You should take the free card on 6th. You'd bet your 2 pair here had you pushed out seat 7 on the previous street.

You can't bet 7th.
Old 11-19-2005, 01:10 PM

I would probably three-bet on fourth. I love straight flush draws, so I can't help myself. Going for the over-call is OK, though.

Raising fifth would have been best. If the third man folds, you increase your chances of winning by making two scraggly pair. If he calls, you're getting volume on what is still a strong draw.

On sixth, by my count, you've seen nineteen cards. Of the remaining 33, two Deuces, one Trey, two Fours, and five spades will give you a straight or better. I think you're going to need to hit in order to win. The guy with the Aces isn't folding. Even if they both call, you're getting 2:1 on a hand that is probably a little more than 2:1 against, and there's no guarantee that all of your outs are clean. So you really couldn't call it a raise for value. Take the free card.
Old 11-19-2005, 03:53 PM

Your playing in the wrong game, Stud Hi/LO is down the hall to your left.
Old 11-20-2005, 12:27 PM

I like the overcall on 4th street, but if the guy with AJ on board was a very loose player who I've seen calling double bets a lot, i would re-raise it here.

5th street you've just gotta raise. Ideally you'd like to get it heads up against a pair of queens where you are a favorite (probably around 58%-42%). If Mr. Ace jack calls the double bet, you gain a lot of value too. You are around 33% to hit the flush not to mention you might back into 2 pair, trips, or a straight. This is definitely a +EV raise against 3 players, but you'd like to go heads up if you can to maximize your chances of winning whats in the pot right now.

6th street you've gotta check behind him.

River is obviously a check too.
Old 11-20-2005, 02:09 PM

I might reraise 4th just to build a big pot. On 6th, definitely check. You're unlikely to have the best hand and getting raised would both suck and blow. I don't like betting into AA there and I would take a free card. River plays itself.

Jeff
Old 11-20-2005, 02:42 PM

Man, you have got to raise fifth. Every other street you played in this hand is secondary to this.