Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 10:25 PM

Default Re: did i play this correct?

[ QUOTE ]
well how do you make your own luck?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a fair question to keep me from lapsing into platitudes. When I say you make your own luck, I mean that in the long run you're going to get the same cards as everyone else. The long run in this case is measured by years and lifetimes, not hours and days. What determines your ultimate success over the years is how you play the hands you're dealt, because no one rides the rush of cards for that long.

I would imagine that's what Ferguson meant. Without context I can't say.

[ QUOTE ]
one being that some people will tell you to play tight and wait for people to make mistakes; some say you have to play aggressive in order to win longterm.

[/ QUOTE ]

Playing tight and aggressively are not mutually exclusive, although to those not acquainted with poker terms they often seem to be. Here are some definitions as they apply to games, but basically they mean the same thing applying to players. A tight-aggressive player contests few pots, but will make many bets and raises in those pots she contests. A loose-passive player plays many hands, but plays them by checking and calling more than betting and raising.

Now, some good players have found ways to succeed by being loose-aggressive in certain situations (Gus Hansen is often cited), but they pick their moments, which most often come in tournaments.
Old 12-09-2005, 10:33 PM

well i consider myself TAG. ill almost always make continuation bets on the flop, especially when i can show ducks or a weak suited ace when they fold.i have tried playing pretty aggressively; it always bites me in the ass. its just not my style. but some people cintinuously win by playing that way.
Old 12-09-2005, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
well i consider myself TAG.... i have tried playing pretty aggressively; it always bites me in the ass. its just not my style.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do understand that TAG stands for tight-aggressive, right?
Old 12-10-2005, 02:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
well i consider myself TAG. ill almost always make continuation bets on the flop, especially when i can show ducks or a weak suited ace when they fold.i have tried playing pretty aggressively; it always bites me in the ass. its just not my style. but some people cintinuously win by playing that way.

[/ QUOTE ]

First off, showing your weak hands after making a winning continuation bet is a prime way to get called down every time. Don't do it. Never show a hand you don't have to. Showboating will bite you in the arse.

Second, if you play a style other than tight/aggressive you are destined to lose. Playing passively by check/calling minimizes equity edges while giving your opponents maximum opportunities to beat you. Playing loose often puts you in situations where you are trying to catch up or don't know where you are in the hand.

You say you consider yourself tight/aggressive yet then say it's not your style. What is your definition of tight/aggressive?

Regards,

T
Old 12-10-2005, 08:39 AM

i meant that when i was up alot in the session, and sometimes had more money than anybody else, i would be raising with medium hands late in position with no limpers and get burned, etc. i just tried raising more often and i ended up losing some of my profit. i guess i was just trying out some advice i thought was good; like you should raise more than calling. i think maybe i exaggerated that. it just makes me kinda mad when i watch some maniacs run a table because everybody else is afraid of his constant raises, but when i try to duplicate that play i run into monsters or just donk off money. theres so much more i have to learn about the game; right now im trying to put together some preflop charts etc.