Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 02:45 PM

Default Re: did i play this correct?

[ QUOTE ]
im a beginner looking for comments on how i played this hand. its a $1 tourney; full of fish.

i get QQ in 3rd position. 2nd position limps(blinds are 30/60) villian raises to 60 with AKo wtf?? folds to me, 2 seats before button. i reraise to 175. folds to villian who calls. flop is Ad Qh 7h with 2 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]s. villian bets 150 into 425 chip pot, i raise to 400, villian calls. turn is 7s. villian checks. i push all in, (590) villian calls. guess wath the river is?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not sure why you're asking WTF to villain raising to 60. (Other than the fact that the blinds seem to already be 30/60). You probably meant villain raised to 120 or that blinds are 15/30.

Either way, good reraise pre-flop. On the flop, it's not a bad raise either. I'd push in on the turn too. If he had AA or 77, then oh well. If he had AK, then he's just got 2 outs to beat you. If the river is an Ace, that's tough.

A little bit of advice, reread your post before you make it. There are some mistakes in how you recount the hand, and it's a little tough to follow. Were the blinds 30/60? Did villain really raise TO 60, or raise 60 more? Was the flop Ad Qh 7h, or did it have 2 diamonds?

And don't ask us to guess what the river is. Bad beat posts aren't kindly looked upon here (except in teh Bad Beat forums). You're posting in the beginner forum, so we'll cut you some slack for being new here.

Nice hand, tough break.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And don't ask us to guess what the river is. Bad beat posts aren't kindly looked upon here (except in teh Bad Beat forums). You're posting in the beginner forum, so we'll cut you some slack for being new here.

[/ QUOTE ]

very well said!! and i agree on cutting some slack on it being the beginners forum.

i concur with you as i can't handle bad beat stories. i have enough myself. if i play every day, i have a bad beat every day. occasionally, i have 3 or 4 bad beats in an hour... so i don't need anyone else's bad beat stories. i have enough of my own.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I love trying to guess what the river is, since (from my own experience) the OP is usually asking the question because he or she doesn't know whether it was horrid luck or a misplayed hand. I just consider it a bizarre form of hand reading. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But the point about bad beat posts is still very pertinent.

I'm going to guess the river was an ace and Villain made aces full. Second choice is a seven where V. was overplaying K7 or 76 or something. Those AFAICT are the only two ways Villain wins on this board.

To the OP: don't ever forget that your bad beats mean you were playing correctly. Why do I take so many bad beats but hardly give any out?
Old 12-09-2005, 07:36 PM

yeah im sorry. it was late and i tried using the bisonbison hand converter but it didnt work. yes the blinds were 15/30, i said wtf because AK isnt the kind of hand to trap people with; i usually raise alot preflop with that and try to steal, and if they call im usually no more than an 11/10 dog. it seems like i play cash games much better than tourneys, and i just wanted some input on how i played the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-09-2005, 07:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
yeah im sorry. it was late and i tried using the bisonbison hand converter but it didnt work. yes the blinds were 15/30, i said wtf because AK isnt the kind of hand to trap people with; i usually raise alot preflop with that and try to steal, and if they call im usually no more than an 11/10 dog. it seems like i play cash games much better than tourneys, and i just wanted some input on how i played the hand. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

doing this from memory, but i think i (and most of the posters here) thought your play was good....
Old 12-09-2005, 08:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: Just because you play something a certain way, doesn't mean others are. Mini-raising with AKo isn't the worst thing I've seen from others, though I would also raise more than that. I tend to think that limp/reraising is more of a trap than mini-raising here.

Whatever. That wasn't the point. You played the hand fine.
Old 12-09-2005, 08:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mini-raising with AKo isn't the worst thing I've seen from others....

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but minraising and minbetting is incredibly common in the small-stakes NLHE I've seen. It's as though people haven't quite grasped that this isn't limit poker, so they forget to move the bet/raise amount selector from its default position.
Old 12-09-2005, 09:34 PM

well i did read the link in your post. now i know why i get the shaft 9 times out of 10 when theres a miracle. but i also read in a Deal article that the way you play can alter your luck. it even quoted Chris Ferguson saying "the person that appears luckiest in a card room is usually the best player." that the heck is that all about? so even if luck was the determining factor of if a player is great or not, which i think is false, wouldnt the good luck make a good player great?
Old 12-09-2005, 09:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it even quoted Chris Ferguson saying "the person that appears luckiest in a card room is usually the best player."

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't take that quote too seriously. Maybe he's talking about his long tournament career or something, or maybe he just wanted to give them a notable quote. Ferguson is a mathematics Ph. D.; I'm sure he knows that one 8-hour session in a cardroom can make the worst player look brilliant.

Now long term, yes, you make your own luck in poker. Maybe that's what he meant. *shrug*
Old 12-09-2005, 10:04 PM

well how do you make your own luck? i dont get it? either youre getting the cards, or youre not. either youre on a rush or you go hours without seeing a face card or pocket pair lol. i think that maybe i play too tight, and so i get unlucky relatively often because i only put all my chips/money at risk with a very strong hand. there are so many contradictions in poker theory its unbelievable. one being that some people will tell you to play tight and wait for people to make mistakes; some say you have to play aggressive in order to win longterm.