Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-16-2005, 01:00 PM

Default Super Monday, I don\'t know what to do when I get ITM...

I am making a fair number of ITM lately, but have yet to (recently) go deep into a tournament. Its like once the bubble bursts I go into hyper-aggro mode bc I feel like I need to start getting chips. Here's a hand I busted out on:

Hero (~7500)
Villain (~13000) is 22/10

Blinds 300/600

Hero dealt 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]8[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] in UTG+1, one fold, Hero pushes, Villain (MP) reraises All-in, everyone folds.

Villain shows K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

And you know the rest. Anyway, what is the proper line here? Fold in such early position? Raise 3xbb? Push like I did and hope for a double up against two overs?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:12 PM

Default Re: Super Monday, I don\'t know what to do when I get ITM...

When the bubble bursts I tend to switch back a bit into a more tag mode, all the people who have been scared stiff trying to get into the money wake up and start to play a lot more.

The time to be hyper agressive is just before the bubble imho.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:14 PM

I think this move overall with 12 BB is -EV. You are getting called by hands that dominate you, to win 1200 chips? From UTG?

How about putting in a 3xBB raise, or limping and then calling a small raise, and seeing a flop?

I think my line with this hand and position is (In order):

1. 3xBB
2. Tricky/scared min-raise
3. Call
4. Fold
5. All In

4 and 5 are WAY behind the other options. I dont have the self control to fold 88 here with 12xBB. The more I think about it, I might min-raise here. It gives the illusion of power. It scares people. And in general, wins the blinds with alot less risk. If someone romps on you, you can easily fold and be happy with yourself.

Nick
Old 11-16-2005, 01:19 PM

While your stack is starting to approach 10 BB's I don't think you need to be in push mode yet. By moving all in your only going be called by a better pair or overs. A small stack with a lower pair might call you but most likely your going be beat bad or in a coinflip situation.

I would limp in. By doing this you make your hand look strong and you don't risk many chips. Most likely KK would raise a decent amount but at least now you can get away from the hand.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:26 PM

So lets say I limp and Villain raises to 3-4xbb, which is standard for him. He has been raising quite a few hands lately. Do I push, hoping for fold equity (of which their certainly is some - everyone hates the LRR). Clearly, with KK he's not folding but maybe he folds the likes of AQ/AJ/KJ/KQ/AT/etc to my limp-reraise.

Or do I just fold when he makes this raise after my limp?
Old 11-16-2005, 01:56 PM

I'm folding to a 3-4X BB raise from the villian. My plan for limping was just to see a flop on the cheap not to mess with my whole stack. I would only consider pushing if I had more of an idea about my opponent.

A thinking player will likely put you on a monster hand if you limp raised all in. But a regular player with a pair of tens or better will call you especially with his stack. I think your better off folding.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:00 PM

Why not just fold right away and save 600 then? I would say about 90% of pots get raised right now.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:03 PM

You don't have the odds to push with 88 2nd position no ante 12xBB. Getting called by KK is the kind of trouble you are likely to get into. You can't raise either, so limp or fold.

I play very tight from early position with 12xBB and no ante. From late position, you should have opportunities to push, open push or at limpers or reraising. You can also limp or raise from late position.

After the bubble bursts is a time I play real solidly, because eveyone is opening up. Then I start stealing and restealing once people start worrying about moving up in the money.

I you limp and get raised, use your judgement based on the opponent and position. Probably fold 88. You also have the option to push or play a stop and go.
Old 11-16-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think this move overall with 12 BB is -EV. You are getting called by hands that dominate you, to win 1200 chips? From UTG?

How about putting in a 3xBB raise, or limping and then calling a small raise, and seeing a flop?

I think my line with this hand and position is (In order):

1. 3xBB
2. Tricky/scared min-raise
3. Call
4. Fold
5. All In

4 and 5 are WAY behind the other options. I dont have the self control to fold 88 here with 12xBB. The more I think about it, I might min-raise here. It gives the illusion of power. It scares people. And in general, wins the blinds with alot less risk. If someone romps on you, you can easily fold and be happy with yourself.

Nick

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm 100% with Chief here. Pushing here likely either steals you the blinds or gets you called by a hand you're WAY behind. Although I probalby raise to either 1500 or 1600 (I like the way the extra 1k chip looks!) and not the full 3x the BB. I find that this stage a 2.5 ish raise works just as well as a 3x, and if someone behind you pushes you'll save chips when you have to fold. It'll also allow you to make a continuation/value bet on the flop without committing your entire stack..

One thing also to note. Players are typically passive right before the bubble bursts, and then there is a series of massive aggression just after it bursts as those waiting to make the money try desperately to build chips. Right after the bubble bursts is the time to hope you catch some cards so you can pick these aggressive players off, not the time to make marginal moves, as IMO you're more likely to get called here than just before the bubble breaks.

-Rizen
Old 11-16-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1. 3xBB
2. 2.5x
3. 2x
4. Call
5. Fold
6. All In

5 and 6 are WAY behind the other options.

[/ QUOTE ]