Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-09-2005, 07:12 PM

Default A question about ROI%

Is there any point in trying to play SNG's without rakeback?

It seems like beating the rake is brutal without it. If I'm not mistaken, break even is 33% ITM, assuming even placement in the prize distribution. I know this is supposed to be attainable and sustainable; it just doesn't seems attainable for a lot of players (read: me. Granted, my sample size is laughable. Hope springs eternal...) For any player who doesn't attain this, they're just losing money--why play? I understand this circumstance is good for sufficiently winning players, and it's even better if most players don't understand how much they have to win to make a profit in the long run. I don't really feel like losing $50 dollars out of every $1000 invested if I can at all help it. I just feel like a fish.

I know the answer is: Learn and get better. My problem is I don't have rakeback at the site where I grind my SNG's out. I don't see any legitimate way to get it. If I can only manage 30% ITM with even placement across the prizes, does it make logical sense to continue to play SNG's to make money?

I understand it might make sense on a personal level, to improve my play, but I'm not making a profit with those numbers, right?

Am I way off base?
Is there a post already covering this?

FOITNOF,

-D.