Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-20-2005, 07:56 AM

Default Antibiotics for ID fans

Do ID proponents feel free to use as many antibiotics as they can, happy that bacteria cannot evolve and develop resistance?

Or is God constantly and conciously redesigning bacteria to make them better able to kill us?
Old 12-20-2005, 09:08 AM

Default Re: Antibiotics for ID fans

Firstly let me point out that I believe Intelligent design to be nothing more than an intellectual con.

Nonetheless, for your information (or perhaps amusement) they cover the emergence of "super-bugs" by claiming that the new germs just use rehashed genetic material and that there are no recorded instances of spontaneous evolution, merely new permutations of old genetic sequences. So this phenomenon is explained away and doesnt require evolution to be real.

Again - I'm not advocating the view, it's just I find a certain perverse pleasure in trying to explain to people who argue like this exactly where there logical flaw is.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:10 AM

if all brown haired people were to spontaneously become allergic to oxygen and die after their first breath it would be sort of the same idea, there would be no brown haired people and people with other colored hair would reproduce and stablize once agian. same concept with antibiotic resistance.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:16 AM

In that case there would never be any new bugs, the most dangerous ones will have always been around. I think you imply that they would just reproduce more to fill the place of the weaker bugs would be eliminated by antibiotics.

Logically then, we must assume that you like the weaker bacteria as when they make you ill they are somehow filling your illness capacity and taking the place of a bug that would otherwise be resistant to antibiotics?

The problem is that what I just wrote sounds a bit silly, so whats the serious ID way to get around this issue?
Old 12-20-2005, 10:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
so whats the serious ID way to get around this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

This at best is micro evolution, which is far different from speciation.

EDIT-Hence there really is no issue.
Old 12-20-2005, 10:40 AM

So ID accepts that micro-evolution is a valid concept?

If so, how do they define micro?

Humans from apes appears (intuitively, I'm not a biologist) to be a series of micro-changes, we are essentially very, very similar. Especially if we were to compare, say, humans and rocks along the same lines.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:08 AM

You strike me as an intelligent person. Do you really not believe in evolution (specifically the theory of common descent)?
Old 12-20-2005, 11:18 AM

"So ID accepts that micro-evolution is a valid concept?"

How can you not accept micro evolution?

"If so, how do they define micro? "
Main Entry: mi·cro·evo·lu·tion
Pronunciation: -"e-v&-'lü-sh&n also -"E-v&-
Function: noun
: comparatively minor evolutionary change involving the accumulation of variations in populations usually below the species level
- mi·cro·evo·lu·tion·ary /-sh&-"ner-E/ adjective

Note the below the species level.

"Humans from apes appears (intuitively, I'm not a biologist) to be a series of micro-changes, we are essentially very, very similar. Especially if we were to compare, say, humans and rocks along the same lines."

Can someone be 99.99999% pregnant? Very, very close isn't there. I also think that the 4% genetic differences between us have been downplayed quite a bit.
Old 12-21-2005, 02:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In that case there would never be any new bugs, the most dangerous ones will have always been around. I think you imply that they would just reproduce more to fill the place of the weaker bugs would be eliminated by antibiotics.

Logically then, we must assume that you like the weaker bacteria as when they make you ill they are somehow filling your illness capacity and taking the place of a bug that would otherwise be resistant to antibiotics?

The problem is that what I just wrote sounds a bit silly, so whats the serious ID way to get around this issue?

[/ QUOTE ]

No there is no problem with what you just said, in fact that is what the smart doctors have been arguing for years, that antibiotics only be used in severe cases where an illness might be life threatening because if we keep abusing them over minor illnesses all the weak genes will be killed off and the antibiotics will become worthless. Remember SARS?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:02 PM

SARS is a virus. Antibiotics are useless against viruses. thats one of the main reasons we have super bugs the wrong use of antibiotics.