Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 09:43 PM

Default Can I win this Super Thursday hand?

Early on in the Super Thursday. Villain just moved to the table a few hands ago.

Blinds 10/20

Hero t2335
Villain t850

Villain raises UTG+1 to t50. I call in LP with 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Everyone else folds.

Pot: t130

Flop: 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

Villain bets t80. Hero ????

I doubled up early and am the big stack at the table. Can I wield my chips and win this hand?
Old 09-22-2005, 09:58 PM

Default Re: Can I win this Super Thursday hand?

I just fold these situations. They're very marginal IMO and the risk might not be worth the reward. If I were to continue, I would probably call the flop to try to freeze him and then bet the turn if he checks, or fold if he bets again. Raising the flop is an option but you would have to raise about the pot and I doubt it's worth it VS. an EP raiser.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:03 PM

I guess here are the big questions at this point:

1) When you double up early, should you be trying to get heads up with people to steal pots even early in a Super (or other similar tourneys)?
2) Is it possible to steal pots away from unknown players?
3) Is it +EV to call the flop to get more information on the turn?
Old 09-22-2005, 10:07 PM

with your stack, I usually call in this situation and take the pot in the turn if he checks.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:13 PM

1) I agree we should be using our early big stack to push people around. However, versus an EP raiser on a coordinated flop is not the time, I think. I prefer to be the aggressor anyways, and raising first in a wider range of hands.

2) Of course it's possible, but the risk is a little higher. At the 10/20 level it's still too early to know if he's a weak tightie or a loose fish so I would err on the side of caution I guess. I think there's nothing wrong with trying to find spots to steal but the situation here is one I tend to avoid.

3) Good question, I'm not too sure. A read helps, but of course in these party tourneys it's really hard to get one this early.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, versus an EP raiser on a coordinated flop is not the time, I think.

[/ QUOTE ]
Is this real a coordinated flop? No flush draw and what type of a straight draw could he have with J9. KQ? I certainly don't see QT, KT, T8, etc.
Old 09-22-2005, 10:51 PM

So I called the flop bet and he checked the Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] turn. That was exactly what I was expecting although he could obvioulsy be doing that with AA just as likely as a hand like AK.

So the board is: J94Q with 2 clubs. Should I just let this one go? What if the turn was a 2?