Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications

Old 12-11-2005, 08:47 PM

Default Re: Thanks gentlemen, however ...

[ QUOTE ]
http://www.notedpokerauthority.com/

[/ QUOTE ]

Not to mention, apparently, a member of The Knack.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:04 PM

Default Re: Times have changed, thanks Rud and friends ...

Europeans ... heh ... a different kind of people

Have you noted, that fixed limit games are not spread at European sites ?? (or rather, they are spread, but the tables are empty, even Stud is only played potlimit only)

I guess Europeans are easily bored or something ;-)
Old 12-12-2005, 12:10 PM

Default Re: Need something more suitable for online play than SSHE

[ QUOTE ]
I did a quick search, and it appears that it is heresay to speak against SSHE. And I agree, of what few books I've read on poker ... it's one of the finest.

[/ QUOTE ]

The chapters on playing overcards and protecting your hand each pay for the book by themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
Nonetheless, the book is geared to crushing loose, multiway pots.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree here. While SSHE teaches this aspect of the game admirably, I've considered that instead it teaches us how to beat:

1. Games where players play too many hands pre-flop.
2. Games where players go too far with their hands.

While the games are getting tighter online, there are still an abundance of people who go too far with their hands, and make an egregious number of other errors beyond the flop.

[ QUOTE ]
6-8 players seeing the flop?
3-5 players as tight?

[/ QUOTE ]

Something can be said here on the increasingly lost art of table selection. I agree that 6-8 players to the flop is not happening on a regular basis at .5/1, but 3-5 players on average isn't too tough to find.

[ QUOTE ]
What I need is a book that addreses tight, aggressive play where about 2-3 people are seeing the flop. Something that covers blind stealing, defence, small pots, and any other relevant topics for todays online environment.

HEPFAP ... maybe?

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe. If you are serious about your game, then pick it up. You'll want to have it eventually. The problem is that this textbook assumes the other players in your game play reasonably well. At .5/1 at any site, this is not the case.

[ QUOTE ]
Some of the most relevant info I've come across recently actually came from some articles by Abdul. In particular ... open raising any playable hand in tight games when doing so might get you the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, HPFAP addresses blind play in the short-handed chapter. In fact, this is mostly what this chapter is about since the blinds play an ever-increasing role as the number of the players drop.

[ QUOTE ]
(I'm currently playing 2/4 on the pokkerroom network.)

(ps Never played Party ... are the games looser there?)

[/ QUOTE ]

PR 2/4 looks tighter oveall than PP, but I haven't played much at that limit. You will have better table selection at PP, that's almost certain.

I'd recommend learning how to play the short-handed game. My brief foray into 6-max was very profitable, but I haven't had the time to study to make it my main game yet.
Old 12-12-2005, 12:42 PM

oriana,

good comments...

i think you used to be able to crush games with more or less just good pre-flop play and some common sense post-flop.

but now i think we all need to focus on good post-flop play to maintain very good winrates.

basically agreeing with you 100%
Old 12-12-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
(I'm currently playing 2/4 on the pokkerroom network.)

(ps Never played Party ... are the games looser there?)

[/ QUOTE ]

PR 2/4 looks tighter oveall than PP, but I haven't played much at that limit. You will have better table selection at PP, that's almost certain.

[/ QUOTE ]

The rake at Party is also significantly lower in the full ring games, and astronomically much lower in the short handed games if you play 5/10 or below.

Don't play shorthanded on PokerRoom. I really mean it. They rake just shy of 2BB/100 per player more if the game is 5-handed than Paty does (and Party isn't exactly a low rake site!), and then even more as the table becomes shorter still. PR's rake structure really robs the lower games.
Old 12-13-2005, 05:36 AM

Just swung by and noticed a few more responses.

The feedback here has just been tremendous, thank you O and friends.

And Rud, thanks for the warning about the pokerroom network. I should examine the rake structure more at sites before I play them.

I recall someone mentioning that Pokerstars doesn't have rakeback ... but at games 2/4 and lower, the rake you do pay is equivalent to playing Party with a 40% rakeback.

I'm not sure if this is true, but those great bonuses they give you ... might be just another way of disgusing nasty rakes.

I'll be wary in the future.

Cheers!
Zim