Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-23-2005, 02:40 PM

Default Re: New Style of Play Earns Big Success

<sarcasm> Yeah, I fold AQ/AJ/KQ etc etc too. These are horrid starting hands and almost always dominated! </sarcasm>
Old 06-23-2005, 02:41 PM

Nobody has said it so I will. Your whole idea sucks. You will never get good at poker playing this way. Maybe it will reduce variance at lower limits as suggested above but you will never aquire the skills to move up in limits. My advice to you is to take the advice of the senior 2+2er's that reply to your thread seriously and objectively even if you are getting flamed (you need sense knocked into you).

Also if I were you I would go out and buy SSH right away.

Edited for clarity
Old 06-23-2005, 02:44 PM

This is more or less the suggested strategy at maniac tables where things are often capped preflop and on one or more streets.

In less aggressive games, not playing all those hands will cost you +EV, but reduce your variance. If you play poorly post-flop, then it's probably better not to play those hands, which might be where you're at at this point which is why the system is working so well for you.

Once you're comfortable, you should try adding hands back in.
Old 06-23-2005, 02:49 PM

If you don't like variance, the answer is to move down in stakes until you're comfortable, [and possibly learn how to play post-flop] not try and become a nut-peddaling clown.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:14 PM

For those of you with constructive criticism, I sincerely thank you and look to implement your ideas.

For those of you who suck, piss off.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
For those of you with constructive criticism, I sincerely thank you and look to implement your ideas.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain every player here does not suck as much at poker as you. Go sit at a 30/60 table with GuyOnTilt or something.
Old 06-23-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Before I tell you my new style, let me give you a little background info. I won $5 in a Freeroll at Absolute. I killed the micro-limits until I was playing normal stakes. I had my account up to $300 and faltered a little, so I took out $100 to bounce around and get bonuses and lost a bunch and was down to $18, so I did some hardcore brainstorming about my game. I came up with a new plan that is working at Limit Cash Games, NL Cash Games, and NL Tourneys (mostly Single Tables).

Super-Tight, Super-Aggressive.
I've stopped playing suited-connectors (unless AK or KQ) & suited-Aces.
I've stopped limping in Pre-Flop.
I've stopped calling from the Small Blind with marginal hands.
I've stopped calling raised pots from the Big Blind with marginal hands.
I've stopped calling small pairs (77 or lower) in a raised pot fearing domination or a coin flip.
I've stopped playing AQoff, AJoff, KQoff, KJ, 10Joff, K10.

All the little $.50 or $1 more to calls that I haven't made, have helped me build my bankroll to $400 in 4 days.

[/ QUOTE ]

What you'e done is fine to stop the bleeding. While you are learning you should be very tight (Mason Malmuth says in Poker Essays that weak tight poker is the first step to winning play.).

Basically you are doing ok right now because you are benefitting from others mistakes.

I would build from here. Start introducing big offsuits back into your game. AQo is one of my biggest winners (as is KTo.. but that is my lucky hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Maybe post some hypothetical situations involving post-flop with suited connectors and Big offsuit cards.

Read Winning Low lLimit Holdem by Lee Jones. Play for a month or two and post hands... while rereading the book.

Then Buy Small Stakes Holdem by Ed Miller and play for three more months while reading the book and post ahnds.

Finally take up residence in the Micro-limit forum. There are some excellent players there. As a matter of fact some of thme are so good I wonder why they are playing micr-limits. Anyway that is a more tolerant forum for a relative beginner. Here you will get flamed and made fun of. And you will probably end up discouraged. So put in your time at the micros, I think 80% of the regular posters here came up that way.

Good Luck
Old 06-23-2005, 03:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm fairly certain every player here does not suck as much at poker as you. Go sit at a 30/60 table with GuyOnTilt or something.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think he meant we suck at poker, just as human beings. Much less of insult to most of us. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 06-23-2005, 03:24 PM

nut peddling is a proven form of winning at low stakes, congratz...
Old 06-23-2005, 03:28 PM

Thanks, will do.