Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-03-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Harrington on Holdem and \'Resoultions\'

I’m about a third of the way through HoH and I am wondering why he includes the resolutions to the hands, especially in the 'Problems' section. I assume the hands in that section are made up to illustrate/test a specific point. What is the value in continuing on with what happens after that point is addressed? I can see if he is using a hand he has played in/seen it makes for a little entertainment to the anecdote, but in other cases what’s the point? For example at the end of problem hand 4-1. The whole point of the hand is to show that there are times when the pot dictates a call with virtually any two cards, yet he throws in that the player actually folds. Why? Who cares?
Old 12-03-2005, 04:40 AM

Default Re: Harrington on Holdem and \'Resoultions\'

Whether he tells you where the hand came from or not, almost all of the hands are actual hands that have been played. I think the resolutions are just there for completeness. Whether intended or not, they also drive home the fact that people are making mistakes at the table all the time and making moves that are different than you would make if you had been in the same spot and had thought things through in a logical manner.
Old 12-03-2005, 06:11 PM

As well as providing mild entertainment for some of his other readers, I think giving the results often convey a message, including the very point that you are criticising him for neglecting.
Old 12-03-2005, 08:24 PM

they are not made up, the are actual hands played. showing the resolution of the hand drives home the point that it is not the result that matter, it is the though process that got you there.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
showing the resolution of the hand drives home the point that it is not the result that matter, it is the though process that got you there.

[/ QUOTE ]

And he makes this point by showing some hands that are correctly played and still lose the pot.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether intended or not, they also drive home the fact that people are making mistakes at the table all the time and making moves that are different than you would make if you had been in the same spot and had thought things through in a logical manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see what you mean. I handnt thought that thats what he might be implying. Thats a good point. not only do players make mistakes often, but we also should be looking for them when others make it.
Old 12-05-2005, 03:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Whether intended or not, they also drive home the fact that people are making mistakes at the table all the time and making moves that are different than you would make if you had been in the same spot and had thought things through in a logical manner.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats a good point, Hates I hadnt thought of that.