Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Rake Back

Old 10-04-2005, 07:51 AM

Default Re: The letter of the law, and the spirit of the law.

I think rJ is referring to the fact that it was morgant that used those words, not myself.

Edit: FWIW I think this half of the thread is useless without the deleted half, but the mods are all in bed [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Lori
Old 10-04-2005, 07:53 AM

The manner Lorinda used the term law was obviously as terms of the contract. She just substituted the word law for terms of the contract.

rJ
Old 10-04-2005, 08:04 AM

After being destickied, it fell faster than I thought. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

Original post

Lori
Old 10-04-2005, 08:42 AM

I saw his original post about letter vs. spirit of the law and don't think he knows what letter vs. spirit of the law means.

Your post uses law instead of contract and there is a huge difference. You are right, the contract does forbid rakeback, but if Empire doesn't enforce it, then it won't be enforced. Anyone else's opinion (with the possible exception of PartyPoker) on what the contract allows and doesn't allow and whether any particular clause should or shouldn't be enforced is irrelevant.
Old 10-04-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I saw his original post about letter vs. spirit of the law and don't think he knows what letter vs. spirit of the law means.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was the original point of this thread. The other thread was stickied for a while and therefore could not be replied to. I didn't believe that it was locked to prevent further replies.

[ QUOTE ]
Your post uses law instead of contract and there is a huge difference. You are right, the contract does forbid rakeback, but if Empire doesn't enforce it, then it won't be enforced. Anyone else's opinion (with the possible exception of PartyPoker) on what the contract allows and doesn't allow and whether any particular clause should or shouldn't be enforced is irrelevant.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are correct. The reason I was posting was simply to let people know it was against the T+C so that should Empire suddenly change direction, then those people would have no recourse.

I have also tried to let this all die down because the people who run this forum are at least known to be people who pay what they say they will, and although I was not going to let a rakeback forum start without stating my piece, I was (and still am) happy to let it drop once I had said it as a paid forum that I choose to enter is infinitely better than unpaid spam that I don't choose to open.

Lori
Old 10-04-2005, 09:13 AM

Well in England you may have some kind of recourse if you don't violate the tc, but US players don't really have any recourse against online sites no matter what we do.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]
then those people would have no recourse.

[/ QUOTE ]

That depends. I don't know what the dispute resolution terms are in the contract, but if Empire/Party have knowingly allowed rakeback arrangements there could be a waiver argument. That's the theory anyway, there are many factors that could affect whether it could actually succeed.
Old 10-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Location: Poker is like sex, I have no idea what I am doing and most of the time it is done sitting infront of a computer by myself-NC

i used spirit vs. letter incorrectly.

fact still stands; empire allows rakeback. fwiw
Old 10-04-2005, 09:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That depends. I don't know what the dispute resolution terms are in the contract, but if Empire/Party have knowingly allowed rakeback arrangements there could be a waiver argument. That's the theory anyway, there are many factors that could affect whether it could actually succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again, you make my point more accurate for me, thanks.

To save rather a lot of time and effort, could you just argue with yourself , in text, for about 20 minutes, highlighting all the salient points in this debate.
It would save me (and some of those who dislike my points too )a lot of time and effort and would also be more accurate on both sides.

Thanks,

Lori
Old 10-04-2005, 09:42 AM

Default Re: The letter of the law, and the spirit of the law. *DELETED*

Post deleted by Jim Easton