Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 AM

Default Playing on Autopilot

Hello,

I am a total auto-pilot player. I play as many tables at once as possible. I rarely know much about the players on my tables, though I always look at every showdown and add notes to players based on that.

This is obviously hurting my chances of improving at the game. It's not that I don't think about it - I do, but only after the games are done. I've read pretty much every book out there, and I understand them.

I also win, albeit at the mid limits, live or online.

Does anyone have any advice on what I could be doing? How do you concentrate on a smaller number of tables? I get bored pretty fast. I have been seen 5 tabling and reading the newspaper at the same time. Live is a little different, as there's table banter, things to watch after folding, etc. However, I often lapse into not concentrating, as that's how I play online.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 08-10-2005, 08:13 AM

Default Re: Playing on Autopilot

I don't understand what the problem is. You are doing well at the tables without needing to concentrate too much. Wait...is this a brag post!? [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Old 08-10-2005, 08:31 AM

No, how am I going to get better? I'll end up staying at this level forever. What's the point in that? If I could concentrate on the game, my results would improve and I'd understand how others play better
Old 08-10-2005, 11:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Wait...is this a brag post!?

[/ QUOTE ]

No its not, I have a similar problem, I can beat 3-4 tables of any pot limit omaha, but I know it aint helping my game, playing 4 tables never does, because of that, I have decided to start playing 2. I noticed when I play 1-2 tables I learn more from my sessions and can go over my plays easier, its almost impossible when you have 1000 hands a day to look at and you werent even looking at most of them so you dont know which hand you thought was interesting. I dont know maybe im wrong, anyone learn much from playing 4 tables? seems to me that everything is a blurr.
Old 08-10-2005, 12:08 PM

I think this is a great subject to bring up. I was thinking of posting on the exact same thing. I have recently moved up in stakes but found that I don't win while autopiloting. I have reduced my tables from 4-5 to 2-3. I use PT & GT+ but am now trying to get my own reads. I used to have to check hand histories to know how action went in big hands I wasn't involved with, now I try to watch how every hand goes down. I turn off the TV, don't surf the web and I feel like a new player.

If you are trying to get better, but find you get bored with just a couple tables, you need to change something. I might advise playing 2 tables at the next level up for you. The stakes are higher so maybe that will be motivation to play A+ poker. Also, when I get bored at a table I start to play a game: try to guess everyone's hand before they showdown. The closer you are the better you do in the "game" and if you ever guess a hand correctly, give yourself a prize or something. It helps me pay attention sometimes.

JKratzer
Old 08-10-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No, how am I going to get better? I'll end up staying at this level forever. What's the point in that? If I could concentrate on the game, my results would improve and I'd understand how others play better

[/ QUOTE ]

You play limit? Play shorthanded, play 2/3 tables.