Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-04-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Tax Reporting / Date & Time winnings Query for Pokertracker Ring Games

Someone in the software forum recommended that I cross-post this here in the zoo.

I was doing my tax planning and was trying to figure out how to summarize my online winnings from my PT DB. For those of you with some Access aptitude and Excel pivot table know-how, below you will find the SQL for a query I developed to consolidate all my sessions into one Access table. This table can be dumped into Excel for all sorts of pivot table fun.

You’ll have to open the PT DB and go to the query button. Go to the SQL part of a new query and paste the information below. You will have to go into the tables and figure out your “session.player_id”. Mine happens to be 1. Maybe it’s that way for everybody, you can test it and see.

One note, I have two session.player_id’s in the system due to different names at PS and PP. In my DB, it has consolidated all information since I have used the alias function. I’m not sure if this is the case for everybody.

I use the pivot table for two breakdowns. The first is showing winnings by day of the week and time. I use the session start time as the flag. If somebody wanted to, they could go into the hand history db and pull this information exactly.

The second is to consolidate my daily session winnings/losses into one number. Since each day counts as a session when I play, this is simple for me. This way I can easily total up my winnings and losses for my tax return lines; Line 21 Other Income on the 1040 and Line 27 Other Miscellaneous Deductions on Schedule A. It is important to me in Illinois to minimize what I put on line 21 on the 1040. Illinois does not grant any allowances for gambling losses. We must claim gross winnings as income. Including individual table winnings and losses nearly doubles my gross winnings.

SQL
SELECT Hour([session_start]) AS [TIME], session.player_id, session.amount_won, Weekday([session_start]) AS [DAY], game_level.game_level_desc, session.table_name, Month([session_start]) AS [Month], DateValue([session_start]) AS [Date], Year([session_start]) AS [Year]
FROM game_level INNER JOIN [session] ON game_level.game_level_id = session.game_level_id
WHERE (((session.player_id)=1));
Old 11-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Default Re: Tax Reporting / Date & Time winnings Query for Pokertracker Ring Games

Maybe I'm blind but I dont actually see a question anywhere in your post. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 11-04-2005, 09:59 PM

Default Re: Tax Reporting / Date & Time winnings Query for Pokertracker Ring Games

I guess I forgot to post my question....

Or maybe this is an informative post regarding Query capabilities in Access.
Old 11-05-2005, 12:53 AM

You can't expect all of us to know about all this alternate Access terms can you? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-05-2005, 02:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This way I can easily total up my winnings and losses for my tax return lines

[/ QUOTE ]
How about you just look at your neteller account? Mine clearly states all transactions. I could probably get my yearly numbers added up faster than it took you to make this post. Or you can make a post like this.....
Old 11-05-2005, 02:25 AM

Neteller transaction won't help you for tax reporting, you have to add up all winning sessions and all losing sessions seperately, and report the totals seperately on your tax forms. (winning sessions = income , losing sessions = deduction)

You can't net out your winning and losing sessions and report just the Net amount as income.
Old 11-05-2005, 02:27 AM

I do not believe he is declaring himself a professional. Even if he is, it sounds like his state requires him to pay taxes on all winning sessions nomatter how he files (perhaps OP could clear that part up).

Ouch....

Default Re: Tax Reporting / Date & Time winnings Query for Pokertracker Ring G

My SQL is often limited to the Access translation of what I do in the "design" view of Access querys, but from what I can tell, that combined with the pivot table is going to be a good way to get your desired results especially considering your state tax issues (luckily, in VA, we're allowed to take the same deductions on the state return as we take on the federal).

My only constructive comment is I believe a full-blown pivot table may be a bit of overkill compared to a importing your session results and using a couple of array formulas in Excel, but in the end you will acheive the same results. There is likely a way you can acheive the same goals with VBA, perhaps in a UserForm you like, but that's probably a greater overkill than the pivot tables.
Old 11-05-2005, 09:48 AM

I am not claiming to be a professional. To claim this, you have to play full time. I have a salaried job that pays well, and play poker for the ancillary income.

Even so, to properly file, a simply log of neteller transactions would probably not be adequate in case of an audit.

Also, even though my state requires to declare the winnings, I can still itemize my losses on my federal return. Luckily, playing Party $50NL is like punching babies so the 3% tax on my winning sessions in Illinois can be covered.