Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-06-2005, 10:35 PM

Default Marginal hand from the BB

Party Poker 0.5/1 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

This whole hand has me confused, I don't think I played it that great at all...

Preflop: Hero is MP3 with 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) checks, CO calls, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls, CO calls.

With all of the callers I thought I was getting good enough odds to call another bet.

Flop: (13 SB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(6 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 calls, Hero calls.

Would anyone else have bet into the raiser here? I thought that since the pot was already at 13SB it would be EV+

Turn: (11.50 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets</font>, SB calls, UTG+1 calls, MP1 folds, Hero calls.

I thought about betting into the button, thinking that his raise would fold some of the limpers. After realizing how big the pot was I decided against it.

River: (15.50 BB) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, Button folds, SB folds, UTG+1 calls.

I raised here trying to scare out any flushes that might have a better hand than mine but not the nuts. This probably wasn't the greatest idea since anyone with a decent hand would call down here.

Final Pot: 19.50 BB
Old 02-06-2005, 10:42 PM

Default Re: Marginal hand from the BB

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone else have bet into the raiser here? I thought that since the pot was already at 13SB it would be EV+

[/ QUOTE ]

Betting into the raiser has the effect of forcing the field to call two cold and is very uncool. Go for the check-raise instead. Once everyone proves willing to cold-call two anyhow, you have to 3-bet here.

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about betting into the button, thinking that his raise would fold some of the limpers.

[/ QUOTE ]

On the turn you have 7-high; why are you thinking about trying to thin the field?

[ QUOTE ]
I raised here trying to scare out any flushes that might have a better hand than mine but not the nuts.

[/ QUOTE ]

No one with a ten-high flush or better is folding in this spot. K-high and maybe Q-high is 3-betting. A raise here is for value, not fold equity, especially since everyone else at the table has already shown a willingness to cold-call two bets.
Old 02-06-2005, 10:52 PM

This is what happens when you read through SSH too quickly and don't grasp the concepts completely...

Thanks for the advice.
Old 02-06-2005, 11:01 PM

3-bet that flop, and we have enough callers to c/r on the turn, don't we?
Old 02-06-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
we have enough callers to c/r on the turn, don't we?

[/ QUOTE ]

You pick up something like 4 extra outs here with your straight draw (frankly I think a 9 falling on the river is worth very little), and you'd need 4 callers for value. Add in the fact that your draws are not to the nuts and it's an easy check-call on the turn.
Old 02-07-2005, 12:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
we have enough callers to c/r on the turn, don't we?

[/ QUOTE ]

You pick up something like 4 extra outs here with your straight draw (frankly I think a 9 falling on the river is worth very little), and you'd need 4 callers for value. Add in the fact that your draws are not to the nuts and it's an easy check-call on the turn.

[/ QUOTE ]

the 3 non [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 outs are prob worth 1.5outs giving you ~13.5outs which is a big draw around 2.5/1 against which its close on whether or not to raise