Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: How do you get over screwing up?

You're extremely honest with yourself, it seems. The answers to this - and your other post about 'wasting time' - are in your spirituality, I think. Very good advice about developing good eating habits and getting some exercise (not necessarily a great deal). That may help a lot with your physical self, which is very important. Also explore your spiritual self. Many highly intelligent people find their intellect getting in the way of their ability to believe. I suggest reading C.S Lewis "Mere Christianity".

In the end, whatever "screw-ups" you are feeling badly about are probably not very important in the grand scheme of things.... As put so well in another good book: "Don't sweat the small stuff. And it's all small stuff"
Old 12-20-2005, 04:34 PM

Drinking heavily. And hookers. Preferably not transvestite hookers. But if so, more drinking.

Seriously, I just chalk it up to learning and move on. This often pisses off my wife to no end that I have this approach, but I am unable to dwell on things unless it will help me. So the part about making a bad all-in call, I might dwell on that. Being expelled, a speeding ticket, kinky sex with the babysitter...I already know I shouldn't do these things. When I get caught, it doesn't change that.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I get caught, it doesn't change that.

[/ QUOTE ]

This should be the case for any of your decisions. As in poker, you should learn to dissociate decisions and results whenever any sort of risk is involved. Life is usually about imperfect information; therefore, you cannot be concerned with an imperfect result. Concentrate on your decision. Just stick to making correct decisions and don't get emotional about the results. This is quite possible the most important thing I've learned from poker.
Old 12-20-2005, 06:44 PM

Aversion therapy is very effective in many cases!!!