Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-29-2004, 06:28 PM

Default Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2

Recently, AleoMagus started a thread on this forum about the strategy to beat the 10+1 SnG's at party. Many other forum members contributed to what I thought was an excellent seminar on basic SnG strategy. I summarized that thread in outline form, and AleoMagus took the time to review and comment on my work. We present it here for your further review and comments.

PRE-FLOP STRATEGY

LEVELS 1-3

EARLY POSITION (Seats 1-7), play only a pair or AK 1. With JJ or lower, limp in.
--for tighter play, fold 66 or lower.
--for more aggressive play, limp only on Level 1; after that, raise or fold with 77 or better
--If re-raised up to 3BBs, call2. Open-raise 3BBs with AA, KK, QQ, AK; more if several limpers
--for more aggressive play, bet 200-300. When playing aggressively, you need to be prepared to also play the flop aggressively as you are investing more of your stack.
--If re-raised, go all-in (OK to raise all-in with AKo, AKs, but don’t call an all-in with it unless significant portion of stack already invested and one opponent only)

LATE POSITION
1. Raise at least 3BBs with 77 or better, 200-300 for more aggressiveness (limping with 77-JJ is always a good option)
2. also limp in with AQs, AQ, AJs, ATs, KQs, QJs, JTs if there are calls ahead of you, raise if there are not.
--Fold if reraised.
--AQs is marginal in early position but strong later
3. On the button, limping with hands like T9s, 98s, 87s, AJ, and KQ is an option, but requires experience.

Early rounds: AJo, KQo, ATo, KJo, QJo, JTo (and worse) are generally big trouble.

LEVELS 4-6
Open-raise (at least 3BBs, more if limpers ahead of you) from all positions with:
1. 77-AA, AK, AQ
2. AKs-ATs, KQs-KJs, QJs, JTs

LATE POSITION
Raise with KTs, QTs, KQ, AJ, if you are first in the pot
Raise with 2 cards J-A, T9s, 98s, or 87s if you have a good stack, LP, and no raisers already in pot.
Limp if there are already lots of limpers

DOWN TO 4 PLAYERS
Never enter a raised pot without AA, KK, QQ, AK unless raiser has ½ your stack or less.
If a small raise to you, go all-in with these hands and call with a few others (AQ, JJ, TT,)
-experienced players can enter pots with less, but good judgment is necessary
-If short stacked on bubble, you want to be first in the pot; bet big or all-in
-If shortstacked, push (if first in) with Axs, A7+, pairs
-When calling down shortstack all-ins, you want to have AT-AK and pairs 77-AA.
-If shortstack has 2BB or less, it is worth calling from BB with almost anything
-When playing with a huge stack, be careful of other huge stacks even with AK, KQs, JJ, etc….

General Prefop Considerations
-When calling a raise, you need a better hand than you needed to raise in the first place
-When a raise has already been called, you need an even better hand
-When in the small blind, you can limp with slightly worse hands than normal
-When calling min raises once already in for one bet, almost any calling hand is still playable

ON THE FLOP

EARLY STAGES
On the flop, raise the amount of the pot with the following, otherwise fold:
1. top pair with a good kicker
2. 2 pair (no pair on board), set, or boat
3. 4 flush with overcards or other possibilities (bottom/middle pairs, straight draws, etc…)
4. open-ended straight with lots of outs (3-flush, 2 overcards, etc.)

Open ended straights are highly overrated.

Play drawing hands aggressively (you need to have good stack to play a draw)
1. best to act last: bet the pot
2. consider semi-bluff in LP
3. if bet to you on flop is ½ the pot or less, raise to size of pot if you have large stack
--If re-raised, fold Do not slowplay monster hands, especially when draws are on the board.

Post-flop, all bets should be size of pot.
If any recommended bet (3BBs, pot, etc.) is 40% or more of stack, go all-in.

LATE STAGES
If short stacked, Level 5 and later, go all in or fold.
--Play only with pocket pairs, AK-AT, or KQs
--On button, aim to steal about 25% of blinds with hands like A7s-A9s, KTs-KJs.
--Play very tight with 4 left, much looser when in money.
--Don’t worry about second place: gamble for 1st, settle for 3rd.
--Don’t worry about attacking the short stacks. Quickly increasing blinds and their own loose play will take them out.
--With three players left, any piece of the flop becomes valuable. Do not be afraid to bet middle pairs if there is no reason to believe opponent has stronger hand. If there is a raise preflop and an ace or king comes on flop play cautiously

TURN AND RIVER
--The turn and river should be more easily played. The flop is where your most crucial decisions are made
--When you think you are beaten on the river, a fold to a small bet is usually a mistake unless you have no hand at all

GENERAL STRATEGY
-Top pair, top kicker is usually considered risky in NL, but Party’s structure forces aggressive play.
-Experienced players; if flop is rags and pot not raised ahead of you preflop, bet the pot.-AKo, AKs are good for an all-in bet, but not to call an all-in. AK or AKs all-in bets work best pre-flop so hand has full board to work with.
-If any recommended bet is 40% or more of your stack, go all-in.
-When holding middle pair, if flop is checked all around and turn brings no scare cards (3-flush on board, 3 straight on board, cards higher than your middle pair, etc…) play that pair aggressively on the turn. When raised, be prepared to abandon if you suspect a trap.
-Anytime you are prepared to check and call, it is better to bet in the first place-If you do decide to expand your play to include more creativity, this plan is tilt protection should you need to fall back on more straightforward play in rocky times.
-Anytime you get a bad beat, simply say “nh” or “gg” as the case may be
Old 03-29-2004, 10:07 PM

Default Re: Beating the Party 10+1, Part 2

here is a nice Word document version of this I came up with. It gets it nicely on one page for printing.

Beating the party $10+1 doc

Any comments would be appreciated as I have no doubt many successful players play very differently than this.

Regards,
Brad S
Old 03-30-2004, 01:37 AM

I think that's generally very good advice. I play slightly looser preflop (because I'm confident I can stay out of trouble), but otherwise that's pretty close to how I play.

My only real gripe is that you have people open raising with 77-99 in the middle stages. Say you have T1,000 in level 4 (50/100); while it's important to steal the blinds when they go up, I would question the wisdom of putting in 300 with 77 in early position against low stakes PartyPoker players, who are notorious for making bad calls. In that case, shouldn't you revert to standard strategy for 77 (limp and hope for set), and raise all-in with it when you get short-stacked?

If you disagree, I'd be interested in your reasoning.

Regards,
Jer
Old 03-30-2004, 02:13 AM

Yes, I think you are right.

I would usually not raise with 77-99 in early position on level 4. I might push with it if I had less than 800 chips but I doubt I'd raise 30% of my stack. This is true also of JTs, QJs.

I guess a good solution would just be to say:

In early position, push with 77-99 if shortstacked,
limp (or raise?)if stack is large,
pass if stack is around 8-12x BB.'

Similar advice would hold for JTs and QJs, but I don't like the idea of pushing shortstacked with less than a PP, Suited ace, or big king/Ace.

In late positions I'd definitely open raise 3xBB with these hands (or push if necessary)

Thanks.
Brad S
Old 04-01-2004, 11:35 AM

I've been lurking here for months, but had to register and thank you for these guidelines.

It really helped plug some leaks in my PP play. I deviate from it slightly, but it's been a tremendous help to my bottom line.

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2004, 11:52 AM

[ QUOTE ]
DOWN TO 4 PLAYERS Never enter a raised pot without AA, KK, QQ, AK unless raiser has ½ your stack or less.
If a small raise to you, go all-in with these hands and call with a few others (AQ, JJ, TT,)

[/ QUOTE ]

This is seems dangerous if taken literally. If raised, you would fold 90% of the time.

With high blinds and a 4-handed game, you would be guarenteed to lose to anyone who raised often but folded if reraised.

Does this apply only if you are not in the blinds? If so, that would mean this only applies when you are on the button in a 4 handed game. That's fine, but what do recommend if you are in the blinds?

Old 04-01-2004, 11:58 AM

I play a lot tighter than this but I agree with a lot of what you are saying and this is good guide. However players should be very careful with this piece of advice.

"-If shortstacked, push (if first in) with Axs, A7+, pairs"

When shortstacked you do need to push with these hands but since most of the time when you are called it will be by Ax a lot of the time you will be dominated. I would much rather push with KJo than A4s in most spots.
Old 04-01-2004, 03:18 PM

How small an ace would you push with?

Perhaps I could just say A7+ and leave it at that? (that's probably all I want personally)

Bigger yet? A9+?

How big would you want a king to be in order to push in these situations?

Regards
Brad S
Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 PM

What are everyone's thoughts about Axs? In a passive game, I limp with Axs almost all of the time, but maybe this is a big leak for me. The problem is that I limp with Axs, flop four to a flush and end up folding to an all-in raise. Is this too tight weak or should I not even limp with Axs in passive games?

(For background, I play in home SNGs with $60 buyins and blind structures fairly similar to Party.)

Any help on this would be great. Thanks!

Old 04-01-2004, 03:26 PM

You make a good point about this only really applying to it's full extent on the button - and there it makes less sense anyways because you have the best position.

This has been the point which has received more criticism than any other and I am struggling with it a lot. Bubble play is hard and I could probably make a whole strategy guide on this subject alone.

I wanted to make a simple rule but I think it is gonna have to get more complex than that

I don't think that folding to 90% of the raises you get from Big stacks is terribly bad though. After all, you will not always get raised. You will often be the first one in and in Party 10+1, you will even see limpers.

Also, I made the important caveat that this only applies with players who have more than 1/2 your stack. Obviously if you have 2000 chips and the small stack raises the 200 BB with his last 600, you don't want to be letting go of 99.

Still, in the big blind slightly more liberal play might apply as you suggest. I was going to type a guideline here myself, but I'll throw it back at you

How will you play the bubble? Anyone?

Regards
Brad S