Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2003, 09:54 PM

Default Question for online short game players

Hi all. I'm not new to online play but I generally sit at the full tables which can be somewhat frisky themselves on occaission. Last night I sat down in a 6-player 10/20 game for the first time in ages.

In real life I prefer the shorter games. Three or four opponents is optimal for me but given the speed of internet play the online full games are more conducive to my aging gray matter and eyes.

My question - Did I just happen to sit at the most hyper-aggressive table in the history of poker or is four betting the turn with unmade trash the norm in these games? I got moved off hand after hand until I started seeing some showdowns. Good Lord. Unimproved A7 takes the pot from unimproved KQ after the KQ checkraised the river.

Anyway, I did finally adjust which I'm not so sure is a good thing at all. I got dealt 55 in the sb, it's 3-bet to me. Following the etiquette of this game I cap it. I guess because they had successfully been chasing me out of each hand up to this point I only got raised once on the flop which was K97. I 3-bet and lost one opponent. I bet the trash turn and frankly, hating myself, bet the river queen. My 55 was good. The hand history revealed my opponent's cards - Ad2d.

At the risk of boring you all to tears I'll stop with the examples now. When I left the table I watched a couple of other short games - they seemed to be pretty similar to the one I played.

Is this the norm for these games?

Billy
Old 12-20-2003, 10:04 PM

Default Re: Question for online short game players

Wow, that sounds insane. I've played a (very) little bit of the 6-max on party, and don't recall it being anywhere near that crazed. Sounds like all you need to do to win a fortune here is find a big starter and pound it to the river. That said, I wouldn't fall in love with a 55 for a preflop cap just because my opponents like to, especially in a game where you're obliged to call to the river with it unimproved. The idea is to play better than them, not join them. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-20-2003, 11:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is this the norm for these games?

[/ QUOTE ]

That games sounds a little more aggressive than the norm, but not by all that much. Hyper-aggressive would be a good way to characterize many of these games. Or perhaps maniacal would be more apt. Very profitable, but ridiculous swings.

Here's the kind of thing that happens in these games when you're running worse than normal. I 3-bet w/ AK. Someone caps. A few of us see the K97 flop. I get 3-bet on this flop and call the turn. The river is a 5 and I'm checkraised. Guy w/ 55 takes it down. Hey, was that you?

Old 12-21-2003, 12:12 AM

"I did finally adjust[...]"

In the old days we called it "tilt". ; )
Old 12-21-2003, 12:21 AM

Great post. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2003, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
In the old days we called it "tilt".

[/ QUOTE ]

Too funny and too true. Line of the day, Shemp.

[ QUOTE ]
The idea is to play better than them, not join them.

[/ QUOTE ]

Duly noted and thanks for the reminder.

[ QUOTE ]
Very profitable, but ridiculous swings.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, I believe I'll leave this game to you young bucks.

Billy
Old 12-21-2003, 03:41 AM

So, I lost $1500 this afternoon, then won $2500 tonight. This hand pretty much sums up how I lost it all and won it all.

***** Hand History for Game 293415796 *****
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to akshawnd [ Ks, Qs ]
TILTY raises (20) to 20
akshawnd raises (30) to 30
TILTY: im raising away
TILTY raises (20) to 40
akshawnd calls (10)
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 7d, 7s, 5h ]
TILTY bets (10)
akshawnd calls (10)
** Dealing Turn ** : [ Ts ]
TILTY bets (20)
akshawnd calls (20)
Note - if I semi-bluff raise here, he will auto 3-bet. Anyone think I should raise v. a pretty much random hand here?
** Dealing River ** : [ Qh ]
TILTY bets (20)
akshawnd raises (40) to 40
TILTY raises (40) to 60
akshawnd raises (40) to 80
TILTY calls (20)
** Summary **
Board: [ 7d 7s 5h Ts Qh ]
akshawnd balance $2416.50, bet $150, collected $313, net +$163 [ Ks Qs ] [ two pairs, queens and sevens -- Ks,Qs,Qh,7d,7s ]
TILTY balance $1168, lost $150 [ As 6h ] [ a pair of sevens -- As,Qh,Ts,7d,7s ]
Old 12-21-2003, 04:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Note - if I semi-bluff raise here, he will auto 3-bet. Anyone think I should raise v. a pretty much random hand here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Short-table-expert-online pro Buffalo Billy from last night says "Raise". Don't be anybody's punk".

Weak-tight Billy from this morning says "call". Tilty certainly has a hand and given the standards I've seen on those short tables his hand may very well only be A-high (which it was) but you still have to hit and this guy isn't going anywhere anyway.

Billy