Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-06-2005, 05:34 PM

Default What do you defend a TAG UTG raise with HU?

A good TAG raises UTG. His PFR is whatever the standard TAG is for full games, 11%, I think? I dunno. I don't play full much anymore.

It's folded to you in the BB. What do you defend with and how do you play it postflop?

The more I think about it, the more I think you're completely dicked unless you have a big hand like AA-JJ or AK.
Old 07-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Default Re: What do you defend a TAG UTG raise with HU?

How many hands have we played with this TAG?

I think the degree to which we know his postflop tendancies changes things a lot
Old 07-06-2005, 05:45 PM

He's good enough to play pretty close to optimal poker. If you hit a set or another big hand, you're not getting more than 2-3BB out of him, even if he has an overpair. He plays overcards well and will occasionally bluff-raise with them if you seem to be playing back at him too much.

I'm thinking about how you could play small pocket pairs... the only good line I can think of is call/call/check-fold or call/call/CR if you have a set or, if he doesn't bet the turn, lead the river.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
A good TAG raises UTG. His PFR is whatever the standard TAG is for full games, 11%, I think? I dunno. I don't play full much anymore.

It's folded to you in the BB. What do you defend with and how do you play it postflop?

The more I think about it, the more I think you're completely dicked unless you have a big hand like AA-JJ or AK.

[/ QUOTE ]
It's kind of like saying to someone "I'm about to smash you with a brick, where would you like me to hit you?" No matter what you choose you're in a world of hurt. I'll give it a try...

AA-TT, AKs, AQs, AJs, KQs, and AKo. That's about the top 70% of hands that a TAG will raise UTG, so I think on the whole we'll fare well if we play solidly post flop.

Changing my range slightly : give me AA-TT, AKs, AQs, and AKo. That's about the top 50% of hands, which should give us a solid advantage post flop in what is bound to become a chess match.
Old 07-06-2005, 06:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you hit a set or another big hand, you're not getting more than 2-3BB out of him, even if he has an overpair. He plays overcards well and will occasionally bluff-raise with them if you seem to be playing back at him too much.

[/ QUOTE ]
Pardon me, but these statements are inconsistent. If your opponent is aggressive enough to bluff-raise when you seem to be playing back at him, then you're going to make more than 2-3BB when you make a set and he has an overpair.

At any rate, as for the actual question...
What hands do you put UTG on? I would normally say 11% is probably pairs T and up (maybe 99 and 88), AK-AJs, AK-AQo. Maybe some weaker hands like AJo, ATs, KQany.
Most of the time he's on unpaired high cards and you're getting 3-1, so you can defend with a reasonably broad range of cards. I normally play any pair and many suited broadways, including hands like QJs and JTs. I shy away from heavily dominated hands like AJ and AT.

However, it appears from your posts that you're convinced this guy will outplay you postflop. If this is the case, then you probably need to tighten up, maybe as far as pairs and AK.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:04 PM

The thing is, his position on you is a huge advantage. At a maximum, you're probably only going to get 5BB out of him and that's only when he has an overpair, you've hit a set and he's being aggressive. (lead turn, 3-bet).

Any pair does *NOT* have equity against that range of hands. I ran it through pokerstove and (off the top of my head) it's 40% for 22 up to 43% for 99. You're going to have to somehow know when he's on unpaired high cards and when he has an overpair because you're not going to hit your set very often. Maybe just go to showdown whenever the flop doesn't have an A or K?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:21 PM

Depends somewhat on his preflop range (i.e. 88? 99? KQ? AJ?). In any case, I take my 3-1 immediate odds with a lot of good fit or fold hands. I also play looser blinds than many posters.

Be wary of Pokerstove here - equity is not a great measure of profitability here.

Any pair (cautiously. 40% equity is profitable here, BTW, and especially so if you can identify his overpairs)
76s+
97s+
sometimes Q9s/KTs, more often AJs.
rarely ATs
AQo+ (will he raise AJ here?)
Old 07-06-2005, 10:24 PM

Any pair, any two suited cards 9 or higher, AKo and AQo.
Old 07-06-2005, 10:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
76s+
97s+

[/ QUOTE ]
That's REALLY loose, and I hate to ask such a broad question, but could you elaborate a little on why you'd call with those hands as well as what kinds of flops you wouldn't mind seeing?
Old 07-06-2005, 10:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Re: What do you defend a TAG UTG raise with HU?

[/ QUOTE ]

Generally, a fold in the conditions you describe.