Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 01:13 PM

Default Re: DERB

[ QUOTE ]
Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

We should all raise $500 and get erik123/Abdul Jalib or someone of that level to analyse a few 100 hands of his so we can put an end to this 'higher level thinking'.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ill contribute.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-03-2005, 01:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now, stox disagrees with me about this point, but I believe that DERB could sum up his strategy on one page, stox thinks you could write a book about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's very possible DERB could write a one-page post flop strategy piece that encompasses most or all of his game.

The part I think you could write a book about is the HOW and WHY it has worked like it has (and you have to include his PF and blinds play in this as well). I'm not trying to pretend like I have the answer, i have some opinions, but if he is in fact as big a winner as indicates, and I think we've gotten to the point where he has reached the long-run - then figuring out how and why is important.
Old 11-03-2005, 01:45 PM

When does this God of poker play and where? I would like to datamine him.

From the stats I have seen, he is relentless in his blind defense. Maybe this is working to his advantage. No player will take a chance vs him and he gets to keep his blind more often. Also if you are very aggro preflop OOP the post flop decisions become a lot more marginal and being OOP isnt as bad. Its kind of like going all in every hand. Which would be a great play from the blinds since you almost always have enough equity.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:27 PM

Default Re: Abdul Jalib - the Slovenien Connection

Wasn't Shania Backdoor?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Either i'm wrong without realising it and DERB is at a way higher thought than me or DERB sucks and is winning somehow.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hands play a lot different when you are 20/15 vs 15/10. I'm sure the effect is more pronounced once your VPIP gets higher and higher.

[/ QUOTE ]

What?
Old 11-03-2005, 02:50 PM

Default Re: More Derb Hands

Hand 6 is a very easy value bet. Hand 2 river pay off is bad. Hand 7 cap. ... that is from 75 hands.

why not make a 2nd account take about 10 of derbs hands and post them without anyone knowing.
Old 11-03-2005, 02:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Add to that: He often seems to have some outs (gutshot etc) when making a move on the turn with a questionable hand. Somewhat analogous to a NL SuperSystem bluffing style. Hence all the bad beats he dishes out.

[/ QUOTE ]

Recently Ive encountered more players at higher limits doing just this. DERB is not alone in this tactic. Additionally, Greenstien makes mention of employing a similar strategy in his book.

-Brad

[/ QUOTE ]

DERB does this different than your average high limit good player.

Check raising gutshots is a decent way of adding a good mix to your shania/range of hands. It's somewhat random and has equity. As is doing it when you have a backdoor flush.

When good players do it they are doing it to mix it up, because there's a good flow, because they could have 7 to 10 outs and there is huge folding equity (hu blind fight), DERB does it when there's a bet, A CALL, then him. Folding equity maybe, higher level thinking maybe. But seems doubtful.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:04 PM

Is there anything to be said for the fact that there is no such thing as "raise, fold to a 3-bet" -- "3 bet, fold to a cap" -- "raise for free showdown" against this guy?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything to be said for the fact that there is no such thing as "raise, fold to a 3-bet" -- "3 bet, fold to a cap" -- "raise for free showdown" against this guy?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that if people knew that they should not "raise and fold to a 3 bet" against him, he would make a lot less money. This is why I have no problems playing against him. I don't try to do stuff like this. I just make money when he makes horrific payoffs and tries to move me off hands I'm never folding. Sometimes I have to pay him off too, but in the long run this hurts him more than it hurts me because my starting hands are so much better than his.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Abdul Jalib - the Slovenien Connection

Srendi Vashtar posted the Shania thread.