Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments

Old 10-06-2005, 06:22 PM

Default 109 bubble play

100/200 level. 4 players left. I have 1800 on the BUTTON. UTG has 2k and has been min-raising at a reasonably aggressive pace. SB has about 3k and BB has around that too.

UTG min-raises to 400. I call with KJs on the button. SB calls and BB folds.

Flop comes K73 with two hearts (not what I have). UTG pushes and I call all-in.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:29 PM

Default Re: 109 bubble play

I would have punished him more for the min raise...
Old 10-06-2005, 06:29 PM

So reraise all-in PF?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:35 PM

If i am going to play the hand, i would at least raise him to 1000. pushing is good too. I try to get max effect for as few chips as possible. he knows i am willing to go the distance and call his push, so the 1000 makes a strong statement about my committment to the pot.

however, with the k hi flop, i hope he is just bluffing because he thinks you have nothing because you didnt raise him. The way it played out, i would have called this as well...
Old 10-06-2005, 06:38 PM

u are willing to raise to 1000 with a 1800 stack?

why would u put in >50% of your stack without pushing?!?!?
Old 10-06-2005, 06:41 PM

I know people think differently than i do...i try to get max effect for min investment...if i am willing to push i will just raise him 1000 here...i think that effectively equals a push. not likely he will just call. If he pushes over top, he knows im calling, so he knows to play this hand he will have to put in all his chips. just something that i feel works well for me.

I am definitely open to criticism for this move...help me understand why a push is better. or, how a push is vastly different than this raise. Thanks.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Fold pre flop, but in reality you need to move down in limits for now to play these if you want to be profitable, or just go back to limit.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:52 PM

What about this scenario:

You are in the cutoff seat with AKo with 1800 chips with blinds 75/150, you are being minraised by JJ from a 2000 chip stack sitting in middle position, you raise to 1000, he decides to flat-call you deciding what to do depending on flop texture. Flop comes AKQ two of same suits, he is most likely gonna get scared of this big flop and probably gonna throw his hand away and you wont get the action you want. Push preflop and action is probably more likely.

Not a very common scenario, but it doesnt have to get this extreme to sometimes be EV- not to push.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:56 PM

yeah, ive been thinking about the situations where you just get called. But, that to me is rare...and if thats the case, then i feel i am solid post flop and hope i get a piece...i agree there are down sides to it...it ISNT a push and not equal, but i can live with the results. they have been really good for me. next time you take a step down a level and are thinking of trying some new moves...give it a shot and let me know how it works out for you.
Old 10-06-2005, 06:58 PM

My bad, I got the stack sizes mixed up, i would push or fold...