Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics

Old 12-16-2005, 05:58 PM

Default Doh!!!

Iraqi security forces had al-Zarqawi in custody last year but let him go because they didn't realize who he was. They may need to stand up a little higher before we can stand down.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: Doh!!!

al-Zarqawi is not as important as our government makes him out to be. Bush & co has built him up so that they can declare victory if we capture him. Orwell wrote about this concept in 1984 (the nightly scream time when you scream at the figure head of the group you are at war with).

His capture will do nothing on the ground in Iraq, but it may effect public opinion in the US.
Old 12-16-2005, 06:14 PM

Now let's get it straight here. Are you in favor of detaining suspected terrorists without evidence, or are you against it?
Old 12-16-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Bush & co has built him up so that they can declare victory if we capture him.

[/ QUOTE ]
The left seems to have the same idea about bin Laden, as if once he's captured/killed our troubles are over...
Old 12-16-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Now let's get it straight here. Are you in favor of detaining suspected terrorists without evidence, or are you against it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I am opposed to detaining people without evidence. But I am supportive of figuring out whether people picked up in dragnets are in fact local public enemy #1. Apparently Zarqawi had a decent disguise going. But the fact that the Iraqi forces themselves, much less some ordinary American soldier, have very little ability to match suspects with known terrorists or to tell a Jordanian from an Iraqi, augurs poorly for the security situation.
Old 12-16-2005, 07:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Bush & co has built him up so that they can declare victory if we capture him.

[/ QUOTE ]
The left seems to have the same idea about bin Laden, as if once he's captured/killed our troubles are over...

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe the liberals also like the idea of bringing a man who killed 3000 Americans to justice.
Old 12-16-2005, 08:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course I am opposed to detaining people without evidence. But I am supportive of figuring out whether people picked up in dragnets are in fact local public enemy #1. Apparently Zarqawi had a decent disguise going. But the fact that the Iraqi forces themselves, much less some ordinary American soldier, have very little ability to match suspects with known terrorists or to tell a Jordanian from an Iraqi, augurs poorly for the security situation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear then in line with the question asked of you and your response, you do advocate detaining such suspects until we can be sure that they are not a threat, is that correct? Like we have done with some suspects for 2 or 3 years?
Old 12-16-2005, 09:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Just to be clear then in line with the question asked of you and your response, you do advocate detaining such suspects until we can be sure that they are not a threat, is that correct? Like we have done with some suspects for 2 or 3 years?

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll answer for him, even though you already have -

Yes, it's a good idea to detain people for 2 or 3 years to make sure they're not a threat. Then when we let them go, they'll have spent so much time in US custody and around our friendly interrogation officers that we can be sure they'll love the United States and everything it stands for.
Old 12-16-2005, 09:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

There are two questions here, one about the initial detainment and one about keeping them. In this instance, I think some form of initial detainment was very reasonable, since we were conducting major military operations in Fallujah and these people were picked up running around in the streets. There was a curfew and a state of emergency and everything and so there were some very extenuating circumstances. Ordinarily, I don't think we should be hauling people in en masse like this.

As far as keeping them around, I think if there is no evidence that the person has committed a crime, then we should not hold them longer than a short time period.
Old 12-16-2005, 10:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As far as keeping them around, I think if there is no evidence that the person has committed a crime, then we should not hold them longer than a short time period.

[/ QUOTE ]

But the question is for how long? Their prints aren't going to be in our databases most likely nor their faces. So the only way to be sure is to interrogate them and also others about them, and that takes time. So a vague answer won't do here. Give a time frame you would be comfortable with and state that is the max even if it should prove not long enough to identify them. And then don't plan on criticizing the administration if it turns out that someone important was released at the end of that time frame before they could be identified.