Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 01:42 AM

Default Football commentary pet peeve: \"Game-changing\" holding play

OK, I see this all the time and it just annoys me.

3rd and 6. Team's behind and driving, late in the game. Defense has good pressure and coverage, QB is scrambling. QB is out of the pocket, lots of pressure, there's a hold, then finally a 20 yard completion. Flag, holding, penalty.

The commentators always go on about how this holding penalty was such a huge game-changing mistake and this is the sort of thing is the difference between winners and losers, blah blah blah. Now it's 3rd and 16, instead of 1st down in good field position.

The problem w/ this analysis for me is that oftentimes, it's almost the exact opposite. Without the holding penalty, the QB would often be sacked in this situation. At the very least, that completion is definitely not happening without that holding having happened. Blaming the holding penalty on screwing up the "successful" play is just silly.

OK. Not sure why I'm talking about this. Just something that annoys me.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:52 AM

Default Re: Football commentary pet peeve: \"Game-changing\" holding play

I was thinking the same thing after that play. (I know exactly which one you're talking about).
Old 11-25-2005, 02:10 AM

add this to the long list of other dumb cliches and misstatements crap football commentators make. i dont understand how the quality of TV sports commentary in the US (baseball has mccarver, morgan, miller, all so bad, football is even worse) is so bad.

I saw the same play and thought the same thing.
Old 11-25-2005, 03:07 AM

I agree, comments like that usually annoys me regulary. In all situations similar to that. It could be 1st and 10, and the running back gets a 25 yard gain. Holding is called and its taken back and now 1st and 20. Not only will the commentators, but people you are watching the game with make the biggest deal about the hold ruining the play. At least a lot of the football morans I watch the game with will. The play never would have happenend that way without the hold.

I went to most of my youngest brothers football games this year, and it was hilarious how often a play like that would occur, and all the parents would make the biggest deal about how many extra yards the team would have without holds. The plays would have likely never been that long.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:52 AM

I hate to disagree with anyone who says announcers are idiots...

...but more often than not, the hold in question is so far away from the play, that it was not the reason the play went for big yardage.

But when the hold was primarily responsible for springing the play, then I agree, the announcers should STFU.

Speaking of announcers, here's a snippet from the new Sports Guy column:

Speaking of Theismann, here's an e-mail from Brendan in Indy: "With just around 1:00 left in the 3rd Quarter and the Texans facing a 4th and 4 from the 4 yard line. Down 31-14, the Texans lined up like they were going to go for it. At which point Joe Theismann says 'the Texans are going to go for it, and I love that call' following by the Texans calling a timeout and the game going to a commercial break. When the game returns, the Texans are kicking the field goal and the announcers are arguing about the decision to kick the field goal, with Theismann arguing FOR the field goal. I thought that maybe I had misheard who had said they loved the call to go for it, so with the beauty of TiVo I was able to go back and watch it again, and sure enough it was the great Joe Theismann! He really is creating arguments with himself!"
Old 11-25-2005, 02:00 PM

its like when a dealer misdeals and some guy throws his hands up and yells "aww i got Aces!" but guy, you wouldn't have aces if he dealt the cards correctly moron. i don't know why i said this in the sports forum but i felt it was a relevent/close analogy.
Old 11-25-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...but more often than not, the hold in question is so far away from the play, that it was not the reason the play went for big yardage.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're honestly arguing that most of the time a holding call did not help the play get big yardage? Do you want to rethink that position?
Old 11-25-2005, 04:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was thinking the same thing after that play. (I know exactly which one you're talking about).

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-25-2005, 05:49 PM

I think alot of you are overlooking that if the play has no hold and goes for no gain (instead of a hold and a big gain), then they're looking at 2nd and 10 instead of 1st and 20. 1st and 20 is a drive killer, 2nd and 10 isn't.
Old 11-25-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I think alot of you are overlooking that if the play has no hold and goes for no gain (instead of a hold and a big gain), then they're looking at 2nd and 10 instead of 1st and 20. 1st and 20 is a drive killer, 2nd and 10 isn't.

[/ QUOTE ]

that is a totally different situation than the play we are talking about