Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-12-2005, 01:10 PM

Default Re: Best Heavyweight Fighter

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Surprised this thread got bumped. The new Moderator when he was only the wannabe moderator didn't approve of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It got bumped because it was relevant and should have stopped new threads.

Any old discussions should be bumped before new threads get started. It's way more efficient and less redundant. That's why the search function is so nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when people bitch about best of or especially repetitive threads. There's a ton of new people on here, and people who don't spend all day on here; if a thread is valuable to the forum community, people will post in it and reply, when it is no longer useful it will drop to the bottom.

Bitching about it makes no sense.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy, you know I was the OP, right? And was giving the new mod a little tweak because he was the one bitching about my original post.
Old 06-12-2005, 01:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Surprised this thread got bumped. The new Moderator when he was only the wannabe moderator didn't approve of it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any old discussions should be bumped before new threads get started. It's way more efficient and less redundant. That's why the search function is so nice.

[/ QUOTE ]

I hate when people bitch about best of or especially repetitive threads. There's a ton of new people on here, and people who don't spend all day on here; if a thread is valuable to the forum community, people will post in it and reply, when it is no longer useful it will drop to the bottom.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not bitching about it. I bumped it and saved lots of repetition. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I know. I was commenting on your commenting of the mod/mod
Old 06-12-2005, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Indy, you know I was the OP, right? And was giving the new mod a little tweak because he was the one bitching about my original post.

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, yes I did. I just wanted to say that.
Old 06-12-2005, 06:44 PM

Location: seattle!!!__ too sunny to be in a cardroom....ahhh, one more hand

[ QUOTE ]
You seem to glamorize these guys and think that because they are brilliant for a short time that they are unbeatable.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I watched them and how they fought. Your argument is also flawed. Rarely is there ever a 'strong' division. Usually you might see 3, at best, really good fighters. Who are these fighters that are facing top quality oppoents fight after fight? Many times the divisions are weak. That's not the fighters problem.

[ QUOTE ]
Roy Jones might've used the "took them lightly" excuse once, but twice means he got beat by a better fighter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, he used that excuse in prefight interviews when fighting much less quality opponents. That's 'Pre-fight'. He said he wasn't going to go all out because he knew he would just be able to out box the guy so he wouldn't risk injury. I lost a little respect for him when I watched that.

Had De la hoya stayed at his original weight, or 1 weight above, he'd have taken on all comers. Who came after him that would've beat him? Same with Roy Jones.

[ QUOTE ]
And as for Mike, you seem to think that you can arbitrarily take a narrow period of time, in this case Mike under Cus, and say "that's his entire career" and how he should be judged.

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said that's his entire career. Actually, I'm doing a counterargument since there's no telling what 'may have been' had Cus lived longer and if he stayed with his main corner guys. You can't say there wasn't a significant, noticeable change in Mike's style, discipline, etc, after Cus died along with after him firing Rooney. You're not that blind to seeing it.

[ QUOTE ]
But it wasn't, and he certainly never fought ANYONE meaningful.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who didn't he fight in his division? That's not necesarily his fault it was a weak division. That can also be said for Marciano. However, I think many were avoiding Tyson than the other way around. Where were Bowe and Lewis? You're going to compare Lewis fighting Tyson after Tysons career is pretty much a joke to what the fight would've been like say 10 years earlier? C'mon.

[ QUOTE ]
Heck, take every fight from Douglas on, including the butt-kicking by Douglas, the two life-and-death performances against Razor Ruddock, two more butt-kickings by Holyfield, and you see the bigger problem for him. Not that he was trying to jab. That he finally fought people who weren't terrified of him. I'm not going to argue it further, but his fights against Ruddock and Buster merely showed what was later confirmed against Holyfield. Overrated bully.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tyson was not in his top form when he fought Douglas. His top 'image' form, maybe, but certainly not his top form. The remark about him throwing a jab, since you apparently missed it, was how he went away from his winning style of fighting for whatever reason. He abandoned the peek-a-boo style he perfected. To say Tyson had the exact same psychological make-up/focus during these fights as he had when Cus and rooney were in his corner is absurd.

Fact is, we'll never know how it might've been had things been different. But you can look a little deeper than just his record and who he fought when he was a total headcase with no direction. Your argument ignores alot of outside factors that do affect a fighter.

b