Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-15-2005, 07:39 PM

Default Re: Why the war on drugs will never be won

[ QUOTE ]
3 weekends in a row (intraweek use as well) up to half oz per day. Kid lived on my friends floor at UNCW freshman year, one weekend he somehow ended up in upstate New York naked and in the woods, didnt know who he was and he still doesnt. He completely lost his mind for good apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]
Because we know that every human has exactly the same tolerances for every substance out there... [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 12-15-2005, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 weekends in a row (intraweek use as well) up to half oz per day. Kid lived on my friends floor at UNCW freshman year, one weekend he somehow ended up in upstate New York naked and in the woods, didnt know who he was and he still doesnt. He completely lost his mind for good apparently.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, because one person you knew had this happen to them as a result of using this drug, it means that number will apply to most people?
Old 12-15-2005, 07:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What benefits do heroine and crystal meth provide individuals? What benefits do they provide society?

[/ QUOTE ]

METH: Increased alertness, athletic ability, attention, weight loss, recreation. It's a schedule II drug (like oxy) which can be prescribed by a doctor, usually under the name desoxyn.

HEROIN: Pain relief, stress relief, recreation. Its precursor, morphine (which heroin immediately converts to when it enters the brain), is widely used in hospitals.

I've never done either, but a lot of people I know have tried one or the other, and the majority just did it once or twice and didn't let it ruin their lives.

[ QUOTE ]
Like I said, alcohol is in a completely different category than crystal meth et al.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is completely stupid. Alcohol is a recreational drug just like the others, it can massively [censored] you up, it has the same addictive potential as many other drugs (I think opiates are a little worse, but not much. Interestingly, alcohol is one of the few non-opiate drugs where a high-tolerance cold-turkey withdrawal can be fatal). It was the third highest cause of death in 2000, beating out "illicit drug use" by 400% or thereabouts.

And personally, it's a pretty lame drug. Alcohol has the worst after effects of any drug I've ever tried.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have trouble believing as many people have a story similar to this. Did you follow up or was he gone and that's the story you were told? I had a friend of a friend in college "lose his mind due to drug use" but it turns out one thing heavy drug use is not good for is grades. He flunked out, got a job with his dad, and is doing well.

As to the "LSD makes a previously normal person lose their mind" - most neuroscientists disagree with you.
Old 12-15-2005, 07:54 PM

Ive enjoyed shrooms and acid about a dozen times and may enjoy them further down the road. Whether or not they should be legalized, Im on the fence, dont really care and dont think about it much. They arent addictive and even 99% of the idiots who do them regularly know enough to stay inside their homes/safe place when they do them.

Since you asked
Old 12-15-2005, 07:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
3 weekends in a row (intraweek use as well) up to half oz per day.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are so full of [censored]. Half an ounce is 15 cubic centimeters, or about 15 grams (assuming LSD has the same density as water, which isn't too bad). The LD50 of LSD is 12,000 micrograms. Thus half an ounce of LSD is over a thousand times the 50% lethal dose, and would kill you immediately.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Salvia, ox and dex are legal as far as I know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oxy has the same legal status as meth. Dex is totally legal, which is amusing considering how powerful it is. Salvia is now illegal in two states (Louisiana and Missouri), and will probably be outlawed federally within two years. They passed a bill to outlaw it in 2002, but couldn't because there are no signs that it's dangerous and no one's ever really screwed themself up with it.

[ QUOTE ]
Shrooms and acid every weekend. How many weekends in a row until you lost your mind and ended up in a mental institution? (I already know the answer to this question)

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, I retract. Acid and e I'd say should not be used on a "regular" basis, if only for the fact that they are truly amazing (and imho, almost sacred) experiences that should only be done once in a while. But there are those who do, and I think they're as nuts as people who get drunk every weekend.

Come to think of it, I wouldn't want to do any drug every weekend (except maybe weed [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I think it would make drugs get boring pretty quickly.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:02 PM

I'm pretty sure he was talking about shrooms. No one's takingn half an ounce of acid.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:24 PM

lol, Borodog, what did you just look that up or something? Either way by assuming I meant acid when referring to half an oz, youve made it clear you have no real life experience or knowledge with drugs whatsoever.

I completely agree with your abstract economic models that show equilibrium and demand and supply and prices yada yada yada. I completely disagree with your head in the clouds logic that more use of heroine, crystal meth, and PCP is a desirable thing for individuals, neighborhoods, and society.
Old 12-15-2005, 08:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I completely disagree with your head in the clouds logic that more use of heroine, crystal meth, and PCP is a desirable thing for individuals, neighborhoods, and society.

[/ QUOTE ]
Another strawman (if I understand Borodog's position). The actual use may or may not be a "desirable" (no subjectivity there [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]) thing for society, but that doesn't mean it should be illegal.