Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-10-2005, 05:50 PM

Default How much money can I make playing 20 tables of 1/2?

NOTE: This is not a brag post.
NOTE 2: Sorry for the incoherence of this post, I can't write.

Everyone on this site is obsessed with winrate, money, multitabling etc, not that we shouldn't be, we are playing poker, but there is a difference between being a robot and being an active thinking player. I mostly play live, but for the last 4 months I have on and off been playing online and trying to get something steady going, always got too impatient/didn't have the discipline, got bored, etc, was always a long term loser circa a year ago. After seeing some of the success stories here and with some of my close friends I decided to give it a try again.

I deposited like 4k and started to play some 2/4, got a little bored and was like hey play 1 more table, and another, and another etc. In about a month's time I made a couple thousand, not bad right? Dropped 1k one day, got bored, tried 6max, made a lot, tried lots of tables of 6max, lost the cycle goes on and on. My very successful friend kept telling me, play 1 table, watch the players, see what they do, see their betting patterns, but I kept telling him I couldn't do it, it was too boring, I am an action junky. I couldn't focus on a 2/4 table for a measly $400 when I played a 2/5 game live where I could make 2k in one hand. Had no patience. and like I said, I am a complete action junky. Over a 2 month period I kept swinging up and down, up and down.

One day, I had several thousand in my account and decided, I'm just going to play one table of 5/10. I'm going to actually give a [censored] (becuase it is a lot of money for me), instead of trying to find the easiest way to make money without having to think (I used to load up 6 tables of 1/2 6max, pretty brain dead), I'm going to outplay people that I know I can, I'm going to fold to people I know have the goods, and I'm actually going to play real poker. Forget about money, just think about not making mistakes and actually focusing and trying to figure out what people have and how they bet. Holy [censored]! It's like seeing life in color. Yes I suppose I could be running good, but I have made more money in 10 days then I made in 3 months putzing around with 6 tables looking for action and quick scores.

I'm writing this just to say, multitabling isn't everything. I also feel like I've learned more "poker" in the last 10 days from paying attention than I have in the last 3 months.

That is all, take from this what you will.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: How much money can I make playing 20 tables of 1/2?

Good post - I really enjoy playing 1-2 tables of 5-10. I feel my winrate while doing that is amazing and it drops a lot when I add more tables. I may be leaving money on the collective tables(s) by not multi-tabling, but this is so much more fun and you get to outplay the multi-tablers [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Plus I feel I'm getting better this way and will move up stakes (and be able to beat them) more quickly.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:19 PM

This post caught my eye. I have had a similar experience. I think one thing that an experiment like this can teach you, is that in NL, "reads" are very important, even at the lower limits. Playing limit multitable is a different story, there are many more "auto-actions" that a good player would make regardless of the opponent. But in NL, players play with such widely differing styles that it is vitally important to realize what players will stack off 100BB with any pair - and which players will not even call a single pot sized bet on the flop without two pair or better.

I do think some of these problems can be alleviated by playing very short (30BB or so BB) and playing a very tight, solid preflop strategy and getting paid off by the fish...
Old 05-10-2005, 06:29 PM

I steal relentlessly from the multitablers, it's too easy.
Old 05-10-2005, 06:30 PM

Over the last 10 days my winrate is much higher tehn it should be and I also find I can play more hands because I have more control/comfort with the table. I think I'm running like 27/12. A little too lag but it seems to be working.
Old 05-10-2005, 07:19 PM

seems like you'll be too passive from LP against the blinds.

folded to you on button with J9s. You fold because your other 19 screens are blinking.

[ QUOTE ]
NOTE: This is not a brag post.
NOTE 2: Sorry for the incoherence of this post, I can't write.

Everyone on this site is obsessed with winrate, money, multitabling etc, not that we shouldn't be, we are playing poker, but there is a difference between being a robot and being an active thinking player. I mostly play live, but for the last 4 months I have on and off been playing online and trying to get something steady going, always got too impatient/didn't have the discipline, got bored, etc, was always a long term loser circa a year ago. After seeing some of the success stories here and with some of my close friends I decided to give it a try again.

I deposited like 4k and started to play some 2/4, got a little bored and was like hey play 1 more table, and another, and another etc. In about a month's time I made a couple thousand, not bad right? Dropped 1k one day, got bored, tried 6max, made a lot, tried lots of tables of 6max, lost the cycle goes on and on. My very successful friend kept telling me, play 1 table, watch the players, see what they do, see their betting patterns, but I kept telling him I couldn't do it, it was too boring, I am an action junky. I couldn't focus on a 2/4 table for a measly $400 when I played a 2/5 game live where I could make 2k in one hand. Had no patience. and like I said, I am a complete action junky. Over a 2 month period I kept swinging up and down, up and down.

One day, I had several thousand in my account and decided, I'm just going to play one table of 5/10. I'm going to actually give a [censored] (becuase it is a lot of money for me), instead of trying to find the easiest way to make money without having to think (I used to load up 6 tables of 1/2 6max, pretty brain dead), I'm going to outplay people that I know I can, I'm going to fold to people I know have the goods, and I'm actually going to play real poker. Forget about money, just think about not making mistakes and actually focusing and trying to figure out what people have and how they bet. Holy [censored]! It's like seeing life in color. Yes I suppose I could be running good, but I have made more money in 10 days then I made in 3 months putzing around with 6 tables looking for action and quick scores.

I'm writing this just to say, multitabling isn't everything. I also feel like I've learned more "poker" in the last 10 days from paying attention than I have in the last 3 months.

That is all, take from this what you will.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-10-2005, 07:31 PM

huh
Old 05-10-2005, 07:38 PM

that's about where i am but pfr about 10. I think my win rate is too high, but it's been like this for a long time - so I'll see what happens as I continue this strategy.
Old 05-11-2005, 06:36 AM

With a decent video card and decent computer monitor, equipped with 1600x1200 resolution, you can fit 4 tables on your screen with no overlap. With this you could view all of the tables at once and have a great overview of how each player is playing. You can also hook up two monitors for 8 tables without overlap. That might be a little too much, but 4 for sure would work.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:01 PM

You missed my point completely.