Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Texas Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-14-2005, 12:27 PM

Default Is r***back taxable income?

If considered a type of rebate, then maybe not. But if one conceives of it as essentially returning some of your winnings, then it probably is.

Does anyone know definitively one way or the other?
Old 12-14-2005, 12:39 PM

Default Re: Is r***back taxable income?

The consensus is that it's taxable, yes.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:40 PM

I imagine this is much harder to track though.
Old 12-14-2005, 12:41 PM

If you are a winning player, it is taxable. This is because when you add up all your winnings and losses for the year, you are adding up only those numbers NET of the rake charged. Hence any additional income you get back from rakeback is true income to you.

But if you're a losing player, I would argue that it is merely a rebate of fees you've paid, which would not be taxable.

What I would do is simply report each month's rakeback as just another winning session. That way, if you're a winner, you'll pay taxes on it appropriately enough. If you're a loser, it'll be partly or totally offset by your losses.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If considered a type of rebate, then maybe not. But if one conceives of it as essentially returning some of your winnings, then it probably is.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get why people can't grasp the fact that it's income.

Look, if you 8 tabled at 2/4 all year and made 0BB/100, but made $80,000 in rakeback, do you really thing you haven't made taxable income?

Give me a break, you made 80 grand. Pay taxes on it.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Look, if you 8 tabled at 2/4 all year and made 0BB/100, but made $80,000 in rakeback, do you really thing you haven't made taxable income?

[/ QUOTE ]

Singned,

Accountant
Old 12-14-2005, 02:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but what if you lost 100K for the year. In the course of losing that 100K, you paid about 240K in rake. In this case, the rakeback could just be considered a partial rebate of fees you've paid.
Old 12-14-2005, 04:39 PM

If anyone can produce anything that reasonably suggests that it isn't taxable, I'll be shocked.
Old 12-14-2005, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, but what if you lost 100K for the year. In the course of losing that 100K, you paid about 240K in rake. In this case, the rakeback could just be considered a partial rebate of fees you've paid.

[/ QUOTE ]

*strangled noise* So what? What do fees paid, and rebate on them, have to do with it? You lost $100k gambling and gained $80k because you're smart enough to sign up for rakeback. IT'S ALL GAMBLING INCOME!

I don't pretend to be a CPA, but trying to magically wish the IRS didn't see any and every gambling related monetary gain as taxable is insane. If you've got enough losses to offset that gain, then you're simply not likely to owe tax on the gambling related money.

Doesn't matter if it's rakeback, winnings, losses, lottery tickets, whatever, it's all gambling income/loss.
Old 12-14-2005, 07:58 PM

Yes its taxable income, it would not be if you paid taxes on it as it went out, much like one does on life Ins.

Once might fight that it is a capital gain.

if you are a pro you might fight that its part of Business exp. witch gets deducted to get gross adjusted income, and they pay a the 15% tax on CG