Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 07:43 PM

Default Re: What is cut off point for calling with small PP\'s

[ QUOTE ]
How does the number of players effect your decision?

For myself as the number of players (those already in weighed against the potential players that remain to act) increases I like the strength of my PP to increase as well. In other words I won't play a low 22-55 against more than 3 players since even when I do hit the set my chances of winning have decreased. My reasoning here is that more players means more potential for higher sets and it not that then a higher chance someone will pull (or stay for) a straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

This sounds very wrong. 1) getting your money in with a set vs. several opponents is very +EV long term, 2) you can control bet sizes in NL so you shouldn't care much about draws. You make bets so calling is a mistake, and a draw semi-bluff is not going to work against a set either.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How does the number of players effect your decision?

For myself as the number of players (those already in weighed against the potential players that remain to act) increases I like the strength of my PP to increase as well. In other words I won't play a low 22-55 against more than 3 players since even when I do hit the set my chances of winning have decreased. My reasoning here is that more players means more potential for higher sets and it not that then a higher chance someone will pull (or stay for) a straight or flush.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm I have alway been more likley to call when multiple people are in the hand because the chances are better you are gonna get paid off. Yes it increases the chance you will hit and lose but I dont worry about that much.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:48 PM

Any pp, any position, the more the merrier involved in the pot, according to 5/10. Can't fit it on a bumper sticker, but that's my motto with pp's.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Any pp, any position, the more the merrier involved in the pot, according to 5/10. Can't fit it on a bumper sticker, but that's my motto with pp's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so that's what's written on the front panel of the #15.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, so that's what's written on the front panel of the #15.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup...In post-race interviews, Michael thanks Napa, Chevy, Aaron's, Coke, Domino's, Klaussen, Oreo's, and Best Western...and then usually throws a shout out to the 5/10 rule for pp's.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:29 PM

5-10 is specifically for times when you are calling a raise in position . Wouldn't you agree its perhaps the most important factor and deciding whether to call a raise? (The other 2 biggies being size of raise and # of players in the pot)

-Grant
Old 12-07-2005, 09:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
5-10 is specifically for times when you are calling a raise in position . Wouldn't you agree ...

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I don't agree. My only consideration is bet size. If it's OK according to the percentage aspect of 5/10, it's OK by me. OOP you just have to use different lines to get the money in the middle.