Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2003, 02:48 PM

Default Re: KK choke a chicken 20-40

Only a lunatic would cold call two bets or 3-bet the turn. You can raise, of course, if it goes bet, call, and fold to a reraise.

I like to bet the flop because you can often fold to a raise. I have to admit that I prefer betting the flop to checking. Because most people are willing to bet with garbage, while they won't raise without the ace. When you check and it goes bet, call, call, you just don't know where you're at if you're in a typical Los Angeles game.
Old 07-07-2003, 02:52 PM

Default One more thing

Given the action you've described, how often will UTG have AA? I'd wager a decent percent of the time.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:25 PM

You're being simple minded here.

Just because someone is a gambling addict does not mean they're a stupid slob bastard fish.

Just because someone is sad and lonely and values, more than money, the time spent competing in what they see as primarily a game of luck with others doesnt mean that person is a moron hog whore.

Those are the two sorts of people I play against most.
Old 07-07-2003, 03:52 PM

Sometimes, you are bound to fold a winner no matter what you do. For example, a bet on the flop may have been met with a raise or checkraise and you are probably done with the hand on the turn anyway. So, I wouldn't sweat it too much (although I am sure you are right about the bastards, pigs, and whores at your table...heh).

On the other hand, while I am sure you know this, it's worth saying that the play of checking with KK on an Ace high flop works best in a short handed field i.e 1 or 2 opponents. One of the reasons to bet the flop is to see if there is an Ace out there and in a multiway pot, if you are raised, you can generally conclude that the raiser has the Ace (you can't safely come to that same conclusion in a shorthanded pot). This will enable you to save 1.5 small bets (as opposed to checking the flop, calling the turn and river). You also avoid being outplayed on the turn. Lastly, checking KK in a shorthanded field also stands a greater chance of someone bluffing on the turn. So, you save money when behind, make money when ahead yada yada yada.

Bottom line: Usually bet the flop with KK on an Ace high flop against 4 opponents...check it - but not always - against 1 or 2 opponents.
Old 07-07-2003, 11:11 PM

You played it perfectly. If you bet the flop and you get any callers you still have no idea whether or not anyone has an ace, since a hand like A4s might call but not raise. I might call one bet from late position on the turn, but that is all. Next hand.