Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory

Old 12-17-2005, 07:35 AM

Default Question about odds vs. percentages, inspired by Arieh

...on Josh Arieh's blog:

"I'm a very quick math kinda person, but the one thing that confused me was percentages vs. odds on my money. I understand it perfectly now and will now get to play more pots!!!!"

Since Josh has made it this far without understanding the concept, I feel no shame in asking for clarification myself. So, what's the relationship between the price you're being laid and your winning percentage?
Old 12-17-2005, 12:03 PM

Default Re: Question about odds vs. percentages, inspired by Arieh

Percentages and odds are just different ways of expressing the same thing.

If you have a 10% chance to hit your draw, there is a 90% chance you won't. So, the odds are 9:1 against.

In poker, most people use the size of the pot compared to the size of the bet to get pot odds. So, if there is $30 in the pot, and $3 to call, your pot odds are 10:1.

If the pot odds are greater than the odds to hit your hand (i.e. 10:1 pot odds on $3 bet vs. 9:1 odds to hit your 10% draw), then you can call.
Old 12-17-2005, 02:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If you have a 10% chance to hit your draw, there is a 90% chance you won't. So, the odds are 9:1 against.

In poker, most people use the size of the pot compared to the size of the bet to get pot odds. So, if there is $30 in the pot, and $3 to call, your pot odds are 10:1.

If the pot odds are greater than the odds to hit your hand (i.e. 10:1 pot odds on $3 bet vs. 9:1 odds to hit your 10% draw), then you can call.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a simple way to compute odds into a percentage? I see the 9:1 and 10:1 examples easily, but what about 3:1. It's not just 1 (divided by) 3, (for 33% to win) is it? Basically I'm just looking for the formula here.

Sorry, I still feel as if I should know this. Something about it just isn't sticking. And why did Arieh's learning this concept mean he can now play more hands?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:08 PM

While it is fine for you to ask, for Josh to say he is a 'very quick' math person and that he didn't understand %'s v odds is just stupid. What does he mean by 'very quick'? That he can count to 100 quickly?
Old 12-17-2005, 03:20 PM

Add the numbers together and then divide 100 by that number then multiply this number by the number after the word to.

EG. 3 to 1 . 3 + 1 = 4. 100/4 = 25 . 25 * 1 = 25%

EG. 5 to 2 . 5 + 2 = 7 . 100/7 = 14.2 (approx) . 14.2 times 2 = 28.2 .
Old 12-17-2005, 03:30 PM

Easy formula, let's say you're 3:1, you've got 25% chance to hit.

X:Y as percentage is Y / (X+Y)
3:1 as percentage is 1 / (3 + 1) which is 1/4 which is 25%

For stranger ones, you'll just have to guesstimate, e.g.

7:2 is 2/9 which is ~22%

Wow, my first 2+2 posting... you might as well back up the money truck now
Old 12-17-2005, 03:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
While it is fine for you to ask, for Josh to say he is a 'very quick' math person and that he didn't understand %'s v odds is just stupid. What does he mean by 'very quick'? That he can count to 100 quickly?

[/ QUOTE ]

If he read Josh's blog, it quickly becomes evident that while he is a great poker player, he is not much of an academic.

Thanks everyone, I get it now.
Old 12-17-2005, 04:47 PM

And if you are comfortable with a little algebra, here's the formulae that tie things together:

The probability of an event happening = p (fractional)
The odds (against) = w as in w:1 "doubleyou to one"

w = (1-p)/p

p = 1/(1+w)

If you throw in the number of ways you can lose (not draw the card you want) and the number of ways you can win (draw that nut flush!) then

p = (#of wins)/(#of wins + #of losers)

w = (#of losers)/(#of wins)

Play with the numbers and you'll see, for example, that if p is greater than 1/2, w will be less than 1; this is a positive liklyhood of winning so less than even money (1:1) is good pot odds. (Doesn't happen very often!)
Old 12-17-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Is there a simple way to compute odds into a percentage? I see the 9:1 and 10:1 examples easily, but what about 3:1. It's not just 1 (divided by) 3, (for 33% to win) is it? Basically I'm just looking for the formula here.

Sorry, I still feel as if I should know this. Something about it just isn't sticking. And why did Arieh's learning this concept mean he can now play more hands?

[/ QUOTE ]

3 to 1 means 1 in 4, so 25%.
Old 12-17-2005, 08:20 PM

Default Or, to put it another way,

"the only problems I ever had as a shortstop were groundballs and pop-ups". [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]