Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker

Old 09-07-2005, 04:31 PM

Default Last Nights Omaha Coverage

TERRIBLE.

Those guys I don't think know anything about omaha.

The way lon announced the hand - He has A high- couple of Hearts. Umm - the other 2 cards are also important.
Or he has a pair of kings. Really? what about the suited QJ to go with em?

One of them gasped when a guy folded a naked AK preflop.

And neither of them could believe it when Max folded top 2 - Aces and 8s on an A87 board, with 2 clubs I believe. He had 2 pair and no redraw. Its an easy fold, and those guys were amazed.

Needless to say - I've had a great day at my Omaha tables today [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

WOnder why?
Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 PM

Default Re: Last Nights Omaha Coverage

[ QUOTE ]

And neither of them could believe it when Max folded top 2 - Aces and 8s on an A87 board, with 2 clubs I believe. He had 2 pair and no redraw. Its an easy fold, and those guys were amazed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain this to me. Are you worried about trips or the flush draw? If I remember correctly he folded the 2 pair in an unraised pot. I did not understand the fold. Btw, I have never played Omaha.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:01 PM

The problem is not that they don't understand Omaha. The problem is they don't understand poker. I have yet to see them mention the pot size and how it affects a player's decision, for example.

Or maybe it's not a problem, as you indicated in your final remark [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].
Old 09-07-2005, 05:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Please explain this to me. Are you worried about trips or the flush draw? If I remember correctly he folded the 2 pair in an unraised pot. I did not understand the fold. Btw, I have never played Omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was not a raised pot, but there was a bet ahead of him on the flop and another player still to act.

At this point, at most he is slightly ahead, at worst, he is way behind.

If he is slightly ahead in the hand, alsmost any card other than an 8 or an Ace will be a scare card to him on the flop.

Any clubs- the flush.

Any 4,5,6,9,T,J - the straight.

Any Q,K - either a better 2 pair, or a set.

Any 7 - trips or the boat.
The remaining 2s and 3s that aren't clubs are the only true blanks in the deck here.

he hasn't invested too much into this pot yet, so there is no reason to try and go broke with 2 pair in a 3-way unraised pot.

FWIW - Josh played that hand pretty good. Straight wrap and flush draw
Old 09-07-2005, 05:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Those guys I don't think know anything about omaha.

[/ QUOTE ]

The funny thing also is that I believe I heard Norm Chad say during one of last years broadcasts that he was playing in a PLO cash game at the Bellagio the night before or something like that.
Old 09-07-2005, 05:39 PM

Thanks for the reply. I think I heard somewhere that Omaha is a game of having the best draw, I guess your hand analysis shows that to be true.
Old 09-07-2005, 06:12 PM

I disagree with the fold, all those scare cards may make your opponents hand, most of them however won't, even if he has the flush draw and an open ended straight draw alot of those cards you mention arn't outs. Instead of folding I would raise, that way if he only held a flush draw he would not be getting odds to call, but if there was a reraise you could be certain you were up against a set.

Was the play 3 handed or were there just 3 people involved in the pot? In 3 handed play I would never fold top 2 to only one pot bet without some kickass tell.

Not excactly an omaha player but this is my opinion.

Independent of all that, looking only at the results, should he actually have folded? What was he up against?
Old 09-07-2005, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Was the play 3 handed or were there just 3 people involved in the pot? In 3 handed play I would never fold top 2 to only one pot bet without some kickass tell.

Not excactly an omaha player but this is my opinion.

Independent of all that, looking only at the results, should he actually have folded? What was he up against?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe the table was more than 3 handed - the hand just had 3 people in it.

Also Josh had 569x - with 2 clubs in there, so he would have been very hard to shake.

YOu can raise, but a fold is not depolorable. we also don't know chip stacks to know how comitted he would have had to been once he raised.

Top 2 in omaha can be deadly.
Old 09-07-2005, 07:59 PM

Hell, bottom set can be deadly.
Old 09-07-2005, 09:30 PM

I understood folding the two pair on the A,8,7 board. But, I thought it was a situation where he could call on the flop and make a pot-sized raise on the turn if a non-threatening card came.

He had every reason to believe top-two was the best hand on the flop.