Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 07-31-2005, 03:03 PM

Default How would you play this?

full PLO8 game. I'm an PLO8 noob so I hope I didn't butcher this badly. Stakes are .5/1 or 1/2 I can't remember, so lets just say .5/1

3 players limp ahead of me in late position. I have A246 suited to 6. I raise it to 3BB. Button, BB, and 2 limpers else calls. Flop is 235 two tone giving me the nut straight, nut low, and 6 high flush draw. Its checked to me, and I bet 8BB the pot. Everyone folds to BB who calls. Turn pairs the board and giving 2355 still two tone. Villain bets the pot (30BB)ish with plently left. I have about 40ishBB at this point. I push.

Villain is a reasonably competent player but neither conservative nor solid. He's capable of aggressively betting a marginal hand, and I believe he is also capable of folding a nut low with no high outs against someone else who has a probable nut low and strong high.

Thoughts?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:09 PM

Default Re: How would you play this?

i am not much of a pot limit player, but it seems with 90ish BB's in the pot with a wheel/flush draw and only 40 BB's left facing a 30 BB bet, you have to push it in there. i don't see what the problem is, actually. are worried about getting quartered to a wheel/full house?
Old 07-31-2005, 03:15 PM

Since I'm posting this, I'm sure you can guess that villain did in fact have A345. I've only played PLO8 once or twice a few months ago and this was the last hand I played. I'm thinking of starting up again so I thought I'd get some comments on how I did in that fateful hand. I think villain played his hand very well, and I wasn't that happy with how I played it. I'm not sure if I should have bet more PF or on the flop. Or maybe bet less.
Old 07-31-2005, 08:32 PM

You've could have bet the max preflop and he still wasn't going to fold A345, just tough luck. But I wouldn't put so much money in on the flop with just the nut low, nut high, and flush redraw; I'd want at least a set to go along with that.
Old 07-31-2005, 11:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You've could have bet the max preflop and he still wasn't going to fold A345, just tough luck. But I wouldn't put so much money in on the flop with just the nut low, nut high, and flush redraw; I'd want at least a set to go along with that.

[/ QUOTE ]

WOW- you must be a weak tightie.

Guy has a made 2 way hand, with a re-draw (all beit a weak one).

Most times here he is at least getting 3/4s - good place to get your chips in on the flop.

That turn kinda sucks, but you are in deep, so suck it up, and hope your taking half back.
Old 08-01-2005, 04:21 AM

I think that was sarcasm.
Old 08-05-2005, 03:30 PM

When I said I think I should have bet less, I obviously meant bet less so as to get more callers into the pot, and or get someone to raise me. The amount I betted ended up kicking out all the people who were dead money, and the only person who called would have called a lot more.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:17 PM

A max bet is correct. You need to drive better high draws out or you risk being quartered with the other low. You also want to make sure you get allin by the river. You could consider a slowplay if it was heads up, but not with that many people in.
Old 08-05-2005, 04:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
When I said I think I should have bet less, I obviously meant bet less so as to get more callers into the pot, and or get someone to raise me

[/ QUOTE ] Good observation. There is a balance between building a pot and protecting your hand. A lot of hands in Omaha are designed to be slow played. And your hand deserves some consideration of a slow play. However, I think you build the pot really well.

The most likely outcome of the hand is you get 3/4's. Just because the board paired doesn't mean that you didn't get the most value out of the hand.

A common mistake in poker is betting when they have the best hand. Poker is betting to get the most value from a hand. If I have a normal image I'm betting 2 to 4BB. If I have a clueless image I'm betting the minimum and going for a check raise. And if I'm LAG I'm poting it. And if I'm weak-tight I'm checking.