Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-08-2005, 01:12 PM

Default rolled up

7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10 (hand converter (use internet explorer))

3rd Street - (0.83 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 2[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___brings-in ___calls
Seat 3: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ___folds
Hero: 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___calls ___????
Seat 5: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___folds
Seat 8: xx xx 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] ___raises

Should I have raised the BI? I figured a slow play was OK.

After seat 8 raises and seat 2 calls, should I have re-raised? The limp-raise isn't really a part of my ususal game, but maybe this was a good spot for it.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:28 PM

Default Re: rolled up

This is a great spot for it. Against LAG players, or just really loose calling stations, I'd go ahead and pop it. Against competent ones, I'd just call the raise on third and wait to pop it until later. Playing short against good players, I sometimes will wait as long as until sixth to raise if they are showing aggression.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:54 PM

I think reraising here is giving your hand away too much. Actually that's not exactly right. It would represent SOME strong hand. If you had reason to think your opponents woudl play on despite thinking you have aces down or something, then you could reraise because it DISGUISES your hand in some sense. But here it's too likely that they are both not that strong, and you'll get a fold on 5th too often.
Old 11-08-2005, 01:55 PM

Hi uwda, I don't think you can go wrong by reraising, or waiting until 5th.

Just curious, your last thread that you started had you playing $.25/$.50. How have you moved up so quickly? Congrats on hitting the 30/60 so quickly.
Old 11-08-2005, 02:43 PM

I got some extra cash and decided to just go for it. Played for about an hour, and absolutely killed. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] Luckily I'm a good enough poker player to know I'm not really that good. I think the poker gods are trying to goad me into losing my bankroll.
Old 11-08-2005, 04:41 PM

I would reraise, and hope that he three-bets with a hand like AA7. You can then get a raise in on fifth as well. On the other hand, I don't play 30/60, so this might be a bad idea. At lower levels the limp and then raise may well be just a pair of nines defending against a semi-steal.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:13 PM

Since you were an unknown at the 30/60 level, I think a limp/reraise gives away information about your hand too early. If you had a history of aggressive play against these players, I would go ahead and reraise trying to make the pot larger to tie them on.

If you catch something on the turn, I'd bet it or raise then. For instance, if I caught an ace on the turn, or a high suited card I'd lead as if I was developing something. That disguises the real strength of your hand.

If you brick 4th and 5th then they will lead and you will definitely get opportunities later.

The danger is that you give them free cards to beat you. If your hand looks like anything decent and you are high or checked to you must bet.

That's the general line I would take.

In your spot--if you are not going to play 30/60 regularly, and you are just taking a 'shot', then RAISE. RE-RAISE and RAISE again. You are not looking for maximun value in this spot. You are not going to have a 're-occurring edge' here. This is a one time fling with a very specific hand.

YOU NEED TO TRY AND WIN THIS HAND---not extract the most value out of it. Betting and raising gives you the best chance of this.

When taking a shot at higher stakes, I believe you must try and pick up a win, even if it leaves a couple of bets on the table. To get cute with rolled 9's and then lose because you gave away a free card can be devastating in these spots. If you pound away and lose by chance, at least you know you did everything possible to win the hand.

So---I hope you have this problem a lot [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img], and if you are just taking a shot now and then---give 'em both barrels!

p.s. Also, this punishes those regular high stakes players who will try and 'push you around.' You may get a (7A)7 capping it with you on a couple of streets looking to take control of the hand.
Old 11-08-2005, 05:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Should I have raised the BI?

[/ QUOTE ]
I play much lower limits, where I would raise the bring-in about 100% of the time. This time though, I wouldn't do it. You have the highest non-duplicated upcard, and you'd LOVE for the K to pop it behind you. If he does have split kings, he's way behind with little hope of improving. If he doesn't, you'd love for him to keep firing at you.

Of course, the K folded. But at least the Seat 8 did you a favor. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]
After seat 8 raises and seat 2 calls, should I have re-raised?

[/ QUOTE ]
This is probably close, but I wouldn't limp-reraise in this situation unless you know that both players will call. Not knowing that, I like calling. It looks like you have at least one opponent with a good hand, and the pot's soon going to be big enough that they'll be tied to the pot. I wouldn't raise on 4th either unless you get a card that looks like it helps a draw that you might have (in that case, go for a check raise since it might look like a free card play).

I also suspect you have some room to get raises in later without giving away your hand. Give them a chance to make two pair or smaller trips!
Old 11-08-2005, 05:41 PM

Hero: 9 9 9 ___calls ___????

Personally I would of raised on third. At 7 Card Stud High ($30/$60), Ante $5, Bring-In $10. This looks like an obvious steal situation to me by you if you raise. The 7 may call or reraise either way you may get an extra bet in early. The bring-in called also. The 7 may also fold but I doubt it. The 7 seeing the K's cancel and your raise will probably put you on 9's or less and re-raise you with anything more or less trying to re-steal it back.

Interesting hand thanks.

Paul
Old 11-08-2005, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In your spot--if you are not going to play 30/60 regularly, and you are just taking a 'shot', then RAISE. RE-RAISE and RAISE again.

[/ QUOTE ]

That was pretty much my line. They never gave me a chance to raise, but I bet every street with 2 callers all the way to the river. I made quad on the river, and collected $620. [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]