Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 AM

Default Re: so my professor threatened to throw me out of the class....

[ QUOTE ]
CIA?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh yeah!!

Tony, that's awesome that you're working and paying for your own schooling. I meant no disrespect. Just trying to motivate you to complete your schooling. Even if all you get out of your college experience is a degree, it is still probably worth it. I hope you decide to stick it out.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me why you would pay $x thousand (> $30,000 in many cases) per year and skip all your classes and not learn anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's all for a piece of paper. Very rarely is an actual education involved.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can someone please explain to me why you would pay $x thousand (> $30,000 in many cases) per year and skip all your classes and not learn anything?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You either went to a crappy school or you didn't put any effort into getting an education.

Unless you were a liberal arts major in which case I can't help you and you probably have Down's syndrome anyway.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You either went to a crappy school or you didn't put any effort into getting an education.

Unless you were a liberal arts major in which case I can't help you and you probably have Down's syndrome anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

At what point when reading my comment did you get the idea that anything was actually pertaining to myself? I speak often in generalizations. And, I think what I said is generally true.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:15 AM

[ QUOTE ]

What a effing waste of money.

[/ QUOTE ]

theres a piece of paper at the end that says "you did it"

note to self: read whole thread
Old 10-20-2005, 05:17 AM

[ QUOTE ]

At what point when reading my comment did you get the idea that anything was actually pertaining to myself? I speak often in generalizations. And, I think what I said is generally true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, sorry if I assumed you were talking about your own experiences. It was written like you were speaking from experience.

The only reason a person wouldn't get an education out of their college experience is because they chose not to. Even from the worst schools, anyone can take an academic education out of it if they choose to.
Old 10-20-2005, 05:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
you go to a fake school, you don't deserve to graduate.

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah my school is not real, I go to Capn Crunch U, I didn't even say what shcool I go to dipshit

[/ QUOTE ]

did you read The Breakfast Club?
Old 10-20-2005, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The only reason a person wouldn't get an education out of their college experience is because they chose not to. Even from the worst schools, anyone can take an academic education out of it if they choose to.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am guessing Tony's reasons for not attending class are similiar to mine.

I would have a 25% attendance rate if it was allowed because of the horribly slow pace of these classes. You only need to attend 25% to get the max out of most college classes. They are filled with pointless and repetitive activities, lectures which can be more efficiently replaced by reading, group discussions with people who have no clue what they are talking about, etc. Ya, it would be nice if you could read books, take appropriate tests, and be done with the whole thing, but this isnt the way college works.

I have had perfect attendance records in every job I have ever had, but the last 6 years of school (I'm a sophmore in college) I have about a 75% attendance rate.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:31 AM

You're way off on a couple points, mason.

First, the statement "Its all for a piece of paper" is very, very true. A diploma is a signalling device to employers. I could go to the public library, study all the time, and become the second coming of Keynes, but without a degree the Fed won't even glance at my resume.

Second, you seem to equate attendance with education. There's a reason I always hated group projects in school: the others in my group were simpering idiots. Often, professors love to turn their classes into big group projects, and so it takes an entire semester to get through plate tectonics. No thanks, I'll learn it on my own and show up for the final.

Third, the OP said this was ecology. Ecology! If that didn't sound like a blow-off class needed to fill some requirement, you probably went to a Northeastern liberal arts school smaller than most high schools. Just because the OP doesn't want to waste his time listening to a lecture on why littering is bad doesn't mean he's neglecting his education as a whole.
Old 10-20-2005, 09:36 AM

This was the best part about going to state school. With 500 people in the class, nobody breaks your balls whether you go to class or not.