Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Call down river?
I bet and fold to a raise 2 22.22%
Fold 5 55.56%
Call down 2 22.22%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-05-2005, 05:57 PM

Default AK - Vs. Reraise all in and a call

$10 + 1
About 270 runners, just before the first break we are at about 140 left.

My stack is 2800 - after getting up to 4500 in the first 20 minutes, I
have been card dead over the last 30, and gone back to an average stack.

Play at the table has been normal

Blinds are 75/150. Hero is UTG +1

Hero gets Dealt AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , and raises to 450.

MP raises all in to about 1350.

CO who has about 4500 left calls the 1350.

Hero's Move?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:01 PM

Default Re: AK - Vs. Reraise all in and a call

I fold here mostly because if I'm flatcalling an allin most of the time it means I have AA. Is CO good enough that you expect he understands the isolation raise?
Old 08-05-2005, 06:36 PM

I hate the CO smooth calling. Hes seen you raise from EP... someone has come over the top of an EP raise.. and he is still happy to call?

I voted for a pussy fold.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:00 PM

My read on CO - he is an above average - but not great player.

He hasn't shown down bad hands, but hasn't gotten the most out of one or two either.

My thoughts on the flat call.

Either it's a monster - AA or KK that he wants to trap with,

or he wants me to call cause he has a lower pair or a hand like AK. He probably thinks If I call, we will check it down unless someone hits it hard.

FYI - I folded this hand too, but I was kinda stuck here.
Old 08-05-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

$10 + 1
About 270 runners, just before the first break we are at about 140 left.

My stack is 2800 - after getting up to 4500 in the first 20 minutes, I
have been card dead over the last 30, and gone back to an average stack.

Play at the table has been normal

Blinds are 75/150. Hero is UTG +1

Hero gets Dealt AK [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] , and raises to 450.

MP raises all in to about 1350.

CO who has about 4500 left calls the 1350.

Hero's Move?

[/ QUOTE ]

At first I voted for call, but now I'm not so sure (and no it wasn't cuz I'm the only one who voted that way). I feel like if you push here CO will call, and AKs isn't that great of a hand 3 way, especially when you started this hand w/ ~19 BBs. I like calling and seeing the flop and CO's response to a check. If I don't hit a K/A/Flush draw and he pushes I'm out, but I think you've got a good chance of seeing what CO has on the flop by his actions. I think you have a chance of him checking the flop and maybe turn, which helps you draw a little. What I mean is, that CO probably isn't going to make a huge bluff on the flop. He knows that that will just make you fold (or call/push with a good hand), both of which are bad results for him. He also knows that if he bluffs, everyone will see his hand, and he probably doesn't want that, especially since the pusher can't fold so CO won't even win anyway. So basically, I think this hand is a chance for you to really outplay CO on the flop, and going all in is just too easy and is something you do if you don't feel comfortable with post flop play.

Donkeys always push.

I'd push any A or K on the flop, maybe even a flush draw and effectivly pull a stop and go.

I think its either call or fold, and I gues this really depends on my feel of the tourney. I think the really best move is to fold, there's a good chance that a pusher who raised all in an early raisor and a smooth caller, someone has hero beat. But it's a $10, so who knows, maybe if hero feels like gambling, he could call.
Old 08-06-2005, 10:38 AM

FYI -

MP had AK
CO had JJ
Old 08-06-2005, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Hero's Move?

[/ QUOTE ]

I originally voted all-in, but that would have been with the objective of trying to force out the CO player. So that decision would have to be caveated with the chances of being able to do it.

I think the fold is a really bad play here. The pot is offering about 3300-900 on the call, or almost 4:1. The only hand that you are a real major dog on is AA. Even if you call, the flop totally misses you and you have to fold, you still have about 1500 left, which is plenty for that early stage.

I would look at it this way. It's a $10 tournament. The only real money is at the final table. You're unlikely to get to the final table on a short stack.

I think you have to take your shots when you get them. What are the chances that you push the CO player out with an all in reraise, to allow you to get head up? Is the CO player a good enough player to even consider folding?

I think you either call or reraise all in. The decision rests primarily on what you think the CO player would to.

The pot is 3300. If you reraise all in, the pot goes to about 5500 and offers the CO about 5:2. Most likely, he is going to call.

Without even seeing the actual hands, it was a pretty safe assmption that you were behind at least one of the players, if not both.

In light of that I think my vote to reraise all in was probably wrong. I think the play is to call, and then probably move some chips if the semi-bluff opportunity arises or try to check raise if I flop top pair.
Old 08-06-2005, 01:48 PM

Many players are donkeys who check it down with a player all-in. If you flop a flush draw or even a straight draw, you will most likely get a free card. This enhances the option of just calling. On the other hand, just calling means you probably don't have a big pair.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:27 PM

Since everyone else is changing their vote I hope allowed the luxury to do the same by changing my vote to call from push. I think we can assume the pusher either has a pocket pair around 9s and above and probably above or A K or A Qs and MAY BE A Js if he's a bad player. CO we must put on a pocket pair b/c if he had A K he pushes to move our hero out of the pot and hopes he hits something on the flop. So now what our hero has to decide, does he want to gamble about 45% of his remaining stack with A Ks. Personally I gamble b/c A Ks is a very good hand. If he does happen to lose he will have around 1300 in chips which is enough to still do some damage and make most players think (after all the pusher is doing that to our hero with a similiar amount). If you hit, you have a chance of doubling 2.5ing up...if that's a word...may five-halving up?? Anyways back to poker, pushing here is a bad idea b/c we can be almost certain CO has a pocket pair b/c he just cold called, if he raises, I would think AK or may be kings and is worried about you and your ace coming into the pot. If you push, I think he will call, still assuming he's 50/50 to win the pot although it will be dificult for him to fold. I think calling here is the best option. It doesn't pot commit you if you don't hit (8 out of 13 times) and if you do hit you can push and still get all your chips in the pot. With a pocket pair, he probably won't bet unless he gets a set or the flop comes all under cards in which case our hero should lay it down anyways. Calling here allows you to still move in here and get all your chips to the middle but also helps you stay in the tourney if you don't hit. I think my gut reactiion is to move all-in but with a little thought...calling is the much better option.
Old 08-06-2005, 02:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Since everyone else is changing their vote I hope allowed the luxury to do the same by changing my vote to call from push. I think we can assume the pusher either has a pocket pair around 9s and above and probably above or A K or A Qs and MAY BE A Js if he's a bad player. CO we must put on a pocket pair b/c if he had A K he pushes to move our hero out of the pot and hopes he hits something on the flop. So now what our hero has to decide, does he want to gamble about 45% of his remaining stack with A Ks. Personally I gamble b/c A Ks is a very good hand. If he does happen to lose he will have around 1300 in chips which is enough to still do some damage and make most players think (after all the pusher is doing that to our hero with a similiar amount). If you hit, you have a chance of doubling 2.5ing up...if that's a word...may five-halving up?? Anyways back to poker, pushing here is a bad idea b/c we can be almost certain CO has a pocket pair b/c he just cold called, if he raises, I would think AK or may be kings and is worried about you and your ace coming into the pot. If you push, I think he will call, still assuming he's 50/50 to win the pot although it will be dificult for him to fold. I think calling here is the best option. It doesn't pot commit you if you don't hit (8 out of 13 times) and if you do hit you can push and still get all your chips in the pot. With a pocket pair, he probably won't bet unless he gets a set or the flop comes all under cards in which case our hero should lay it down anyways. Calling here allows you to still move in here and get all your chips to the middle but also helps you stay in the tourney if you don't hit. I think my gut reactiion is to move all-in but with a little thought...calling is the much better option.

[/ QUOTE ]

This post is hard to read and doesn't add anything. Please stop posting.