Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-27-2005, 12:57 AM

Default Flop set of 9\'s on scary board

No real read on either player.

Do you 3 bet the turn here or raise river?

This was the last hand I was playing for the night and was too lazy to raise preflop although this would have cleared up his possible hands a little. A 3 bet preflop would have most likely eliminated hands like a7 or 77 which were the only likely 7's he could have had.

Party Poker 0.50/1 Hold'em (10 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
Hero calls, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, MP3 calls, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, BB calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (10.50 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, MP3 folds, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, UTG+1 calls, UTG+2 calls.

Turn: (9.75 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 raises</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

River: (15.75 BB) 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG+1 bets</font>, UTG+2 calls, Hero calls.

Final Pot: 18.75 BB
Old 07-27-2005, 12:59 AM

Default Re: Flop set of 9\'s on scary board

You played it perfectly
Old 07-27-2005, 01:04 AM

Given UTG+1's preflop raise, I three bet the turn and call down a cap. Even when he caps the turn, I still expect to win a large percentage of the time. I just can't see him holding a 7 here. Usually, I'd expect to see AA or KK, a few times you'll see TT from the original PFR, and god knows what from UTG+2.

Actually, I don't mind the turn call at all - especially if the dude behind you is willing to cold call 2 bets. I am definitely popping (via a CR) the river here, though. If he three bets, I'll just call.

If you are going to play this hand against a pre flop raiser in the future (when you're in position), 3 bet it. If he caps, you have no reason to slow down at any point during this hand on a board like this. With respect to this particular hand, as you already pointed out, you really should have raised. If he 3 bets, you have no reason to ever slow down.

By the way, how many hands had you played in this session so far? If the answer is more than 50 at this table, not really having any reads is inexcusable, and you really should work on that.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:11 AM

UTG doesn't hold the cards that make a straight unless he's pretty aggro to raise 77 preflop.

TT for a bigger set is possible, or AA-JJ for an overpair. I can't tell but chances are 4x as many chances of it being AA-JJ than TT. Calling down looks OK, but I think the odds are with you to raise here.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:34 AM

The hand that concerned me most was UTG+1, he doesn't go away and calls 2 cold on the turn. Heads up with UTG and I think this hand is much easier to read. Also, a preflop raise would have defined UTG's hand better also.

What do you think UTG+1 had?
Old 07-27-2005, 01:44 AM

I check raise that river and hope UTG+2 isn't smart enough to play a 7 like that.
Old 07-27-2005, 01:45 AM

Jacks
Old 07-27-2005, 03:51 AM

would play it the same way. flop 3bet is for value.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:13 AM

If it is the last hand of the night you absolutely need to raise it preflop! It's so much fun to raise a normal raising hand preflop and win without a showdown, then leave the table before the BB hits you. You just know one of the fish is thinking ARGH HE HAD NOTHING AND WAS BLUFFING I'LL GET YOU NEXT TIME BATMAN, QUACK QUACK.

But anyway, I 3 bet this turn, if he has TT so be it, if he has 77, I hope he would agree to be your friend.

You are behind one likely PFR, and with UTG2 not raising you now have him to pad the pot in the rare case you are wrong.
Old 07-27-2005, 04:56 AM

Standard Disclaimer: I may or may not be talking crap.

(Grunch)

You should definitely have raised preflop. I know it's easy not to when it's your last hand but poker is a long-term game, so who cares (easier said than done).

I like the raise on the flop, you're closing the action so you aren't going to lose anyone. I would 3-bet the turn every time. I think it's likely UTG+1 has a high pocket pair JJ-AA maybe TT. If he caps it, then I go into check-call mode on the river.

I'm really not sure what UTG+2 is along for the ride with, if he has the straight, he's being pretty passive about it. The only hands UTG+1 could have that beat us are TT or QJs, while we beat JJ-AA and AK/AQ/AJ/AT/KQ/KJ etc.