Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha High

Old 06-12-2005, 09:55 PM

Default My debatable PLO play

I'm working on my Omaha game at the moment - it's probably my worst game, and I have some bonus dollars to earn so I may as well play the game with the big pots (well, I say big, but I'm playing $.50/$1).

Earlier tonight I was faced with a decision that I had to make quickly and that I'm not too comfortable with. What do you think?

I'm in third position and pick up Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] -J [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -10 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] -9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] .I bring it in for a pot sized raise, to $3.50 (by the way, is this debatable in itself? I'm thinking I want to build the pot here rather than eliminate players).

The flop comes 2 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - 7 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] - J [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] .

I'm thinking this is a reasonable board for my hand. I have top pair, a flush draw, and a gutshot straight draw. I bet out $19, the size of the pot. My opponent raises all in for $34.10 more. The pot is $91.10 so I'm getting nearly 2-1 on my money.

As I ponder what to do I'm prompted by the software to act, so I just call.

The turn comes K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] , giving me the low wrap straight draw. What a fantastic card!

The river is the 8 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] , which completes my straight.

My opponent had 7 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] -2 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -5 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] -8 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] . I wonder why the hell he played that hand, but it did give him two pair on the flop. I'm actually a 62% favourite against his particular hand there.

How would you guys have played the hand? I want to know if I'm an Omaha fish!
Old 06-13-2005, 12:35 AM

Default Re: My debatable PLO play

I think this is a nice hand for a raise preflop. If you only had one caller, this is a nice flop. I am going to assume you were heads up or 3 way on the flop. I wouldn't put much stock in a 4th nut flush draw in a multiway pot, but I figure it is probably good here. I wouldn't love the raise, but I would call figuring it is very unlikely that he had my draws covered in a bad way. Since you are only drawing to beat bottom 2 this was a great hand to be up against.

Your opponents hand was pure trash and not even nearly worth a call of the BB. Nice to have that kind of guy at your table. Ready to call raises weak and back bottom 2 with his whole stack.
Old 06-13-2005, 03:10 AM

I don't normally raise this kind of hand preflop unless it's double suited, but I think your play is fine. I completely agree with your play on the flop. Nice hand!
Old 06-13-2005, 11:53 AM

I love reraising with this type of hand, and will often reraise if it's double suited
Old 06-13-2005, 01:09 PM

Looks like foe wanted to snap off aces with any flopped two pair -- another bonus you earned with your PFR. Go you.