Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 03:10 AM

Default Moved up to $50NL 6max, got a couple of \"iffy\" hands...

Just moved up to $50NL 6max for the 3rd time this year, and stil feel like there are huge holes in my game, heres a couple hands.

This one involves my pocket pair and a continuation bet by the original raiser.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

BB ($52.85)
Hero ($69.15)
MP ($114.04)
Button ($47.80)
SB ($21.25)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
Hero calls $0.50, MP calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises to $2.5</font>, Hero calls $2.50, MP folds, Button folds.

Flop: ($7.25) Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $4</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $8</font>, BB calls $4.
Made a min-raise to scare him, usually people hate min-raises. He thinks for a while then calls.

Turn: ($23.25) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $10</font>, BB calls $41.85 (All-In), Hero folds.
Only bet half the pot, should I have bet more?

Final Pot: $75.10

It seems like the original raiser must have had AQ or overpair. I folded in part because there were two flush draws on the board.

Next hand...
Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Hero ($50.15)
UTG ($48.95)
MP ($64.15)
CO ($101.95)
Button ($88.85)
SB ($45.45)

Preflop: Hero is BB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $0.50, CO calls $0.50, Button calls $0.50, SB (poster) completes, Hero checks.

Flop: ($2.50) A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $1.5</font>, MP folds, CO folds, Button calls $1.50, SB folds.

Turn: ($5.50) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $3</font>, Button calls $3.

River: ($11.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises to $50</font>, Hero folds.
I did not represent a flush, since I had semibluffed on the flop. Was this just too weak a fold?

Final Pot: $66.50
Old 12-20-2005, 03:17 AM

Default Re: Moved up to $50NL 6max, got a couple of \"iffy\" hands...

The first hand you need to check/fold. You can't bluff every hand and you need to pick your spots more carefully.

Second hand I think you were looking at a boat.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:34 AM

For hand 1 I think that once the min raise didn't work its time to give it up.
Old 12-20-2005, 03:55 AM

For hand 1 I think that once the min raise didn't work its time to give it up.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:35 AM

Hand 1, I agree w/ the previous posts. That turn bet was pretty much a donation, as he wasn't buying your bluff and you're almost certainly behind. No reason to pour more money into the hand.

Hand 2. It's hard to make the call w/out a read of the player. His bet on the river represents a boat. But, does he have it, or is he the type of player who would bet 3 queens or Queens up into a possible flush board? Conversely, is he the type of player who would make a delayed bet on a flush of his own, in the face of that scary queen?

Against a LAG, I call; Tight, passive, fold

It's like Phil Ivey says "It all comes down to whether your opponent has the hand he's representing."
Old 12-20-2005, 04:44 AM

First hand= Fancy Play Syndrome. That minraise = Yuck. Its spewing at these stakes, unless you have a very good read which I don't think you had. Just go away after you whiffed on the flop.

Second hand= read dependant. I call against an idiot(aka LAG at these stakes [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]), I fold against a nit/rock. I think given the way you played it, many players at this level will read you for an ace here and make that move with the queens, but it is still pretty read dependant.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:49 AM

Hand 1: Check fold the flop. I hate to min raise, what do you hope to achive by minraising? Too many ways to loose here. You might already be behind, he might bet you out of the hand even if you are ahead and he might draw out on you if you are ahead. My default line for small pocket pair is to fold when i don't hit them(especially when you are up against a preflop raiser). So unless i have a very strong read i will fold 55 here almost all the time.

Hand 2: Fine you cannot call this, unless you have very clear indications that your opponent is very donkish.
Old 12-20-2005, 04:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Made a min-raise to scare him, usually people call min-raises. He thinks for a while then calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

FYP...

Hand #1, if you want to do something other than fold, just call and see what develops. If he was CB'ing, you can take it on the turn. Plus, by calling there's a whole bunch of spades out there that will help convince him that he is beat if he has something that beats you like TT/99. As played, check behind the turn, and try to make the nuts for free.

Hand #2, bet $4 on the flop, and lead the river for 3/4 pot or so. Now if he overbet raises you, you can fold. As played, you have to fold it, even though you might be folding the best hand.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:38 AM

1. There is no reason for that play. At these stakes take only clear +EV situations. I still can't do it and that's why I lose. Lousy 3 PTBB/100 for 16k.

2. I'd fold. Looks like a boat/nut flush. A previous poster said that against TPA he'd fold against LAG, he'd call. Calling someone just because he's "LAG" is poor play IMO. Never, EVER call a good LAG on this board! Calling an overbet like this is the reason why good players make tons of money.
Old 12-20-2005, 05:38 AM

Thanks for the comments. I agree hand #1 i was suffering from FPS and was going too far [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]