Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 12:19 AM

Default Turned flush, river scare card, and I hate minraises!

Villain is 26.5/6.1/0.5 over 50 hands.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $1 BB (6 max, 5 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

BB ($114.10)
UTG ($130.80)
MP ($105)
Button ($112.55)
Hero ($172.02)

Preflop: Hero is SB with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. Hero posts a blind of $0.50.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP calls $1, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero (poster) completes, BB checks.

Flop: ($3) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $2</font>, BB calls $2, MP calls $2.

Turn: ($9) 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $5</font>, BB folds, MP calls $5.

River: ($19) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $7</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP raises to $14</font>, Hero ???

Final Pot: $40

Comments everywhere welcome.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:22 AM

Default Re: Turned flush, river scare card, and I hate minraises!

Bet pot on turn to protect your vulnerable hand.

I'd muck the river.

Don't Bet $7/19 pot you're asking to get raised. If that was your blocking bet-- it got blocked.
Old 12-20-2005, 08:21 AM

I agree, I should have potted the turn. I guess at this point I was hoping to keep him in the hand because I didn't think he was on the backdoor flush draw. I guess he could've had something like A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]Tx.

The river was a block, and it would have been easy to fold if he raises more than that, but what's with the minraise? Do you guys ever do this for value when you hit? Is it sometimes better than raising more aggressively, because you're more likely to be called?
Old 12-20-2005, 08:46 AM

I likely bet pot on flop, and pot again on turn. Minraise on river usually means he wants a call, and when someone wants a call it usually means they have a strong hand. He really looks like he is trying to milk it here. Villain's stats make it pretty certain he isn't doing this with the Jc or on a bluff imo, although you only have 50 hands on him.
Old 12-20-2005, 09:45 AM

This is tricky but J [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 9x is certainly a possibility for villain here. Folding the best hand is such a huge error given the pot odds that I'd reluctantly call.