Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 03:14 AM

Default KQ hand - help me

so what improvments if any do i need to make to this, it feels all messed up. Thanks in advance.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (6 max, 6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Button ($39.20)
SB ($17)
BB ($47.50)
UTG ($50)
Hero ($46.65)
CO ($34.60)

Preflop: Hero is MP with Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.25. UTG posts a blind of $0.50.
UTG (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $2</font>, CO calls $2, Button calls $2, SB (poster) calls $1.75, BB calls $1.50, UTG folds.

Flop: ($10.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets $2</font>, BB folds, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $10</font>, CO folds, Button calls $10, SB calls $13 (All-In), Hero calls $5, Button calls $5.

Turn: ($55.50) 5[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 1 all-in)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">Hero bets $22.2</font>, Button calls $22.20 (All-In).

River: ($99.90) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: $99.90
Old 12-21-2005, 09:33 AM

Default Re: KQ hand - help me

bump
Old 12-21-2005, 09:38 AM

KQ is a trap hand. When you make TP, your kicker is good, but not great. SB actually had odds to push with his flush draw so there is really not much you can do at that point. Check the turn, no need to build a side pot because you are not certain to have the button beat.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:22 AM

This looks OK to me apart from the turn bet - as 42it says, better to try and check it down as you may not be ahead of the Button and you can't fold out the AI player.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:37 AM

Maybe I am far too tight, but Im not raising (probably folding) with QKo in EP even with only 4 opponents.

However now im involved I think - SB bets pretty weakly. However im often get really wary of EP callers PF that come out betting post flop - especially at these levels, its weak, but not the minimum and in the players eyes might be a "big" bet. Having said that, with the amount of chips he has left I raise it to about the pot, like you. I get two callers.

To me two callers indicates my hand is no good - I wouldnt bet into the side pot and would just check it down.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:40 AM

I think you are far too tight, especially considering that the game is short. KQ is one of those hands where you can open-steal preflop, and you don't mind getting 1 caller, especially when the caller is a blind.
Old 12-21-2005, 11:42 AM

Fair enough - I have just been burnt so many times with "trap" hands like these - but this short handed a steal is probably worth it.

I just noticed in another post you said in the CO and short handed you almost always fold KQ? But here you wouldnt?

Im not trying to be smart or irritating, just wondered what the difference was! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 12-21-2005, 11:57 AM

If you are referring to this post, then the difference is the gap concept which doesn't only apply to tournaments.

Basically, very often you need only a moderate ammount of equity to attempt a steal if you're the first to act on a pot preflop. But if someone has already raised, you need much more equity in order to continue. If you think about it like this, it makes sense: in the second case, you need a hand that's strong enough to go up against an opponent who likes his hand enough to open for a raise. In the first case, you aren't being put to that test; you're putting your opponents to that test instead.

Just for clarity, "coldcall" means to call someone else's raise when you hhaven't already put any money on the pot on that round. If someone raises to $2 and you call $2, that's a coldcall. If you limp for $0.50, someone raises to $2 and you call the $1.50 more, that's not a coldcall.
Old 12-21-2005, 12:01 PM

Ok - thanks - makes sense!